Fuel lines before and after

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I just make my own using some of my old worn out fishnet stockings, just bake in the oven at 180 for about 40 minutes......Now, what's that funny smell coming form the kitchen.....:D

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I just make my own using some of my old worn out fishnet stockings, just bake in the oven at 180 for about 40 minutes......Now, what's that funny smell coming form the kitchen.....:D
You are a very sick man Greg :eek: .....You in fishnet stockings is not a picture I want in my head ;)

1660bob

VOC Member
As for fuel pipe,because the herringbone has become "unobtainium", as an alternative, you may have seen a trader at autojumbles in recent months selling nothing but rubber fuel hoses, black or coloured,plain finish, £1 for a metre length, or 5m lengths. He`s a youngish bloke.
I bought 5m of black hose off him about 4-5 months ago, and to test the quality, I have had a small piece in a sealed jam jar of new "petrol" ever since i bought it, thus far its perfect, the fuel having no detrimental effect on it that I can see, which leads me to reccommend at least the black stuff he sells. I do not know this guy at all, but I`m giving his hose a whirl on my Shadow..... Bob

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I have had a small piece in a sealed jam jar of new "petrol" ever since i bought it, thus far its perfect, the fuel having no detrimental effect on it that I can see,
As a caution, the ethanol-rated in-tank fuel line on one of my Ducatis looked fine, but when I removed the fuel pump/filter assembly a few years ago to replace the fuel filter I discovered the outer surface of the line had the consistency of freshly-squeezed silicone sealant. It looked fine, but it felt and acted as if a ~1-2 mm deep layer of the surface was silicone sealant fresh from the tube (i.e. it was amazingly sticky and very difficult to remove from my hands afterwards).

There's an SAE standard that fuel line for ethanol fuels has to meet (which the still-visible printing on the "silicone" coat of my fuel line showed) in order not to degrade, and this stuff costs quite a bit more than "regular" fuel line.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
p.s. I should have noted that on our old bikes the development of a "silicone skin" would be hard to notice since it would be limited to the ID of the hose, whereas it was quite apparent on my Ducati because the line is immersed in the tank so both the ID and OD are exposed to the fuel.

Albervin

VOC Member
A few years ago I assisted a friend in the replacement of his in-tank fuel filter. It was a 1999 Laverda which has the most amazing fuel tank I have ever seen; anyway after nearly 2 hours we pulled out the offending item. It was like a comedy routine as the hose stuck to our fingers and as we tried to pull it off each other's hands, it stuck like bitumen/silicone and in the end we wrapped a cloth around it and job (almost) done. The cloth was now stuck to the hose AND our hands............. A classic case case of a 20 minute job taking over 4 hours.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
p.s. I should have noted that on our old bikes the development of a "silicone skin" would be hard to notice since it would be limited to the ID of the hose, whereas it was quite apparent on my Ducati because the line is immersed in the tank so both the ID and OD are exposed to the fuel.
I recently started to use my Ducati after 5 years sitting in the garage. It still has the original 2003 hoses inside the petrol tank. Next time the fuel is low I will have to have a look and see how the hoses are coping with ethanol content in the currently available petrol.

vibrac

VOC Member
I changed the petrol lines on my post war douglas my vincent and my triumph this spring they all leaked and my vintage douglas had a blocked copper feed pipe to the carb had to wire it open and use carb cleaner.
my plan next winter is to get about 10 litres of petrol (from draining the tanks) add 10% water shake contents well up end container drain out the bottom 15% of water-ethanol add some so called anti ethanol mixture (not much faith in those witches brews) a drop of oil and add to the dry tanks start em up run for a minute or two and turn off the taps and pack em away

1660bob

VOC Member
Me and my big mouth......... The highly scientific test procedure utilising a jam jar with petrol in it to test said fuel pipe under laboratory conditions is now complete. The results are as follows:

1) visual change :none:)
2) formation of sticky goo on outside/inside of pipe: none:)
3) Elasticity of pipe: Oh dear,:( rock hard........

The result is clear, modern petrol is an excellent means of hardening up rubber piping..........:mad:

I`ll, er, get me coat.........Bob