E: Engine Fuel leakage

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Have you ever seen the super Dave Hills Centre stand ?, If the legs are the right length,
Very easy to put on the stand and sits safe.

Attachments

• IMG_2076.JPG
    IMG_2076.JPG
    489.5 KB · Views: 16

LoneStar

VOC Member
Another trick is to shut off the fuel petcocks as you are approaching your destination, to use up some of the fuel in the float bowls.
Yes, an excellent idea. I try to run it out of fuel as I come to a stop.

Fuel in the bowl evaporates and decays more quickly, so leaving the bowl empty during down time means less residue forming there, and fresher fuel from the tank for the next startup.

manxman

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Ernesto, it looks more like a float problem. The float level in the bowl may be too high. You can adjust the needle clip as needed to correct this. Also if the carb is attached at an angle (and not level itself), rotating the float bowl may change its height relative to the main body, as some have suggested above.

The overflow in your video doesn’t appear to be from a “leak.” There is an overflow outlet in the main body of the carb (toward the bottom—in your video, it’s the hole just above the silver ring below the main body) to allow petrol to escape if the level is too high. This is to prevent flooding of the main body and the air intake if the float malfunctions, say.

After I tickle my carb on my Comet, some petrol will escape from the overflow. Once the bike starts running this will (should) cease and it shouldn’t begin again after you’ve stopped and cut the engine. So, I think it’s just an issue with the float—either just too high, or the float isn’t properly closing off the fuel supply when it rises.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Shouldn't the float chamber be on the left side ? If you have it on the right and the bike on the left side stand it will leak out of the carb as the fuel level will be much higher.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Yes, could be.
I was thinking to replace the float valve idle and may be the seat too.
I'll try to line the bike on right stand and see if leakage change too.
do you have or know where to found parts catalogue for the carB?
Does This Help?

Attachments

• amal_doc_premonobloc_parts_octobre_1956_351.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 27