• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

E: Engine Fuel leakage

Ernesto

Active Website User
VOC Member
After almost 20 year of stop of my Comet and some main jobs done last months (new tire, battery, repaint tank, and other), I finally have done first ride round the building today.
All fine and super!!! :)
One's I come back and line the bike on the left stand I notice fuel leakage from the carb.
It look to come from the bottom crowed of the carb ( where the separate float is connected), just under the main body. Is there a gasket?
Could be something else?
Advices?
Thanks.
View attachment fuel.mp4

Last edited:

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
If you are concerned about the fuel level anyway it should be just below the hole where the air screw is with the bike level, it can be adjusted with thicker/thinner fibre washers between the float chamber and bottom of the carb and/or by rotating the carb slightly.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Seems to me, We don't have a Carb' problem,
But a Stand problem !,
The standard side stand is not good, Even Dangerous !!.
A lot of us have made a better side stand, Fitting to the left pillion plate.
Or the D/Hills stand,
I didn't send a photo of mine because I made it out of old Vincent handle bars,
Like a "D" , But without a handle And NO foot,
So mine is NOT easy to put on the stand, But I use Amal Mk2 Carb',
But I have used the D/Hills stand On another owners TWIN And found it easy.

SteveW

VOC Member
Another trick is to shut off the fuel petcocks as you are approaching your destination, to use up some of the fuel in the float bowls. As long as my petcocks are working, I’ve never had issues with fuel leaking out of the carbs when using the side stands.
This is what Amal suggested to me when I asked about my carb leaking on it's side stand.

erik

VOC Member
I can not recommend the Plastik part,too. I have the longer ones from Mike Breeding on my Comet ,too.Loks good and the bike stands save.

Attachments

• Orkney 124.JPG
    Orkney 124.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 13

erik

VOC Member
On a Twin it is not so critical as on a single because the propstands are articulated more outboard as on the narrower engine of a Comet . Erik

erik

VOC Member
This is not possible! But what do you do more often? parking the bike or Lifting the frontwheel? At home I use a small Hydraulik jack to dimount the frontwheel. One death you have to die! Erik

erik

VOC Member
I forgot. There is a Dave Hills stand on the bike. If you have to dismount the frontwheel it is not impossible on the side of the road.Especially with the assistance of someone.

Ernesto

Active Website User
VOC Member
Funny to see that we start speak bout fuel leakage and end speak about side stand...
I now install plastic stand and let you know but, as notice by Chris (Thanks) float chamber was in the wrong side therefore when bike was on the right stand it was far to high.
It will take some time since now is snowing in Italy.
BTW, I notice on Erik photo a longer intake in the carb. Why? dose it give some more tork al lower rpm?
Is it noticeable and raccomandabile?

Thanks

TouringComet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
There are side stands on both sides of the bike. Does the amount of fuel that leaks out differ substantially if you use one side or the other?

erik

VOC Member
There is a Amal Concentric mk1 on the bike and I do nly know how this Comet runs with the Long bellmouth.I use it mostly as a flame trap! To my mind a very important Accessoire.

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?