ET: Engine (Twin) Fuel and Carb Settings

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
With modern fuel and a standard motor I understand the optimum timing is 4 BTDC fully retarded to give easy starting and 32 to 34 BTDC fully advanced. ATD springs must not be sloppy - in the fully retarded position there needs to be sufficient 'preload' on the springs to hold the weights fully home.

Attachments

• ATS Magneto Synchronizer.pdf
    578.7 KB · Views: 21

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Today was the day to check the ATD with the mag synchronizer and got a good result. Timing on the rear cylinder starts at 3' BTDC and is all in at 38' BTDC, the suprising thing is that the front cylinder was almost exactly the same at 2 1/2' BTDC and is all done at 37 1/2 BTDC. Close enough for government work. I am running the bike on non-oxygenated, leaded 110 octane fuel so I don't think I will need to back the timing down to 34-35 .
The banging continues in the silencer but is quite reduced after fresh plugs. I rode the beast almost 10 miles this evening and it seemed to be getting better as it warmed up. 80'F temperature here so it wasn't too hot out.
Even after riding the 10 miles the oil tank was not warm yet. These are some cold blooded machines!
Running Champion N5C plugs to start with but while learning the bike I did foul up the first set.
Any suggestions for plugs and diagnosing the banging in the silencer? It is the straight through type muffler. Since it fouled a set of plugs running around the shop, I'm hesitant to richen the pilot settings, but I believe it ran a bit smoother with the air levers pulled on a small amount. Perhaps different plugs might make a difference? Also, is any sealant required where the carbs clamp on the intake spigots?
Ahh yes the clutch...a bit grabby but much more controllable after increasing the play in the cable to 3/16.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for all the help so far!

Bobv07662

VOC Member
What compression pistons are you running? My 8:1 pistons are fine on 87 octane E90.
According to the engine build sheet 7:1 flat tops are listed. I did look at them with a bore scope and they are indeed flat tops with 2 valve relief pockets.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
You should realize that pulling on the air levers a small amount only effects what happens when the throttle slide is pulled up past the bottom of the choke slide. I see several people, on starting a cold engine, insist it just needs a little bit of "choke" and then attempt to start with no or very little throttle.

As for the banging in the muffler, and if you are convinced that your idle circuit is clear ( A # 86 drill in that tiny hole in the jet block) then you need to either richen the pilot screw or look for air leaks. Did you seal the spigot joint when fitting the clip fit carbs, are the carb to head stubs sealed tight to the heads, they can get distorted over the years, are the exhaust nuts sealing the pipes at the head, and are the head to piston liner sealed with the correct clearances on the head joint. Min of 2 thou shallower for the counter bore in the head than the height of the liner above the muff.

I run NGK B6 series on both original mags and a newer BT-H so basically t he same heat range.

My B does pop a little now and then, especially on a cold motor but otherwise it behaves reasonably

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
banging in the muffler, especially on overrun, is often caused by air leaks where the exhaust pipe connects to the cylinder head.

The ignition advance is good for starting but seems a bit high on full advance. 34 is much safer - I have melted pistons running 36! with 7.5:1 piston and 100 octane fuel.

It can be an expensive lesson!

Attachments

• ATD Tuning.pdf
    410.9 KB · Views: 17

Bobv07662

VOC Member
You should realize that pulling on the air levers a small amount only effects what happens when the throttle slide is pulled up past the bottom of the choke slide. I see several people, on starting a cold engine, insist it just needs a little bit of "choke" and then attempt to start with no or very little throttle.

As for the banging in the muffler, and if you are convinced that your idle circuit is clear ( A # 86 drill in that tiny hole in the jet block) then you need to either richen the pilot screw or look for air leaks. Did you seal the spigot joint when fitting the clip fit carbs, are the carb to head stubs sealed tight to the heads, they can get distorted over the years, are the exhaust nuts sealing the pipes at the head, and are the head to piston liner sealed with the correct clearances on the head joint. Min of 2 thou shallower for the counter bore in the head than the height of the liner above the muff.

I run NGK B6 series on both original mags and a newer BT-H so basically t he same heat range.

My B does pop a little now and then, especially on a cold motor but otherwise it behaves reasonably
Thanks for the insight Robert, I will add more air lever on the next ride.
I did not put any sealant on the spigot clamp area as there was none there when I disassembled them. Should there be? The manifold to the head gaskets are new and not leaking. I did seal the exhaust pipes quite well with new gaskets and a small amount of sealant after reassembly due to the Dave Hills stand install.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
That could well be where you are getting the leaness from. Permatex #2 (noe some loctite number but the same stuff) and just a light smear will do the trick, especially if you give it a bit of a twist as you slide it on.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
That could sell be where you are getting the leaness from. Permatex #2 (noe some loctite number but the same stuff) and just a light smear will do the trick, especially if you give it a bit of a twist as you slide it on.
Will definitely check that out thanks!