Front wheel size

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've just been out for the first time this year and my twin, I've been using my Norton Atlas for several weeks and my first impression was "What a pile of rubbish" the steering felt really heavy and uncertain at low speed, and this is with the modified steering stem etc and a steering damper on it's lowest setting with 27" bars.
Now I have a 19" rim on the front with a 90/90 Roadrider at 28 psi (I've just blown it up) would changing to a 21" lighten it up much ?
I have never found the steering particularly heavy on my Rapide. The Kawasaki type hydraulic steering damper was fitted some years ago as although I have never had "a head shake" I put the damper on to minimise the chance.
I originally had a very narrow wider 19" rim that was on the wheel that came in the pile of bits. I used a low profile Roadrider (90/90?) Good steering but awkward fitting inner tubes due to lack of space. When I eventually had a new rim fitted on the front I stuck with a 19" (easy to find tyres ✔) but with a universal Roadrider the same as on the back. (An added bonus was that the speedometer is now very accurate as shown by the GPS.) I have been using around 30 psi and the steering damper on minimum.
The rear has an AVO monoshock unit, fully floating that jacks the rear up a bit so that may make the steering a bit lighter. I'm also long in the leg so feet on the floor not a problem.
I have the concentric mod on the Girdraulics now and have just finalised the setup with 36 lb springs and a 1/2" packer on one side. I am getting full travel and the packer gives me a bit of a margin when my wife is with me. (Often.) I'm maybe 185 lbs with riding kit, boots, etc and my wife perhaps 140 lbs.
I have a variety of bikes and at the present alternate between a 2019 Yamaha Tracer and the Rapide. I can't say that I'm overly aware of any great change in steering weight between the two but I suppose it is what I'm used to and what I expect.

Nulli Secundus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use the larger profile RoadRider on the 19" front on mine too like Eddy. I use a fair bit of steering damper too and have embarrassingly not fitted my modified steering stem yet. I use just over 30 psi and have no issues with heavy steering and I weigh about 180lbs.