H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front wheel shims and bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dont get a lot of space
:confused:
Contrary to common belief the number of bikes you own does not depend on money it depends on how long you have been riding and how much space you have.
I have heard people say 'you cant have too many bikes' they obviously have never spoken to the painter of the Forth bridge.
It is not the number of bikes but the number of tools. I would love to have a decent mill but space precludes it. To do some real polishing I have to move stuff from A to B. To have an isolated and safe welding area would be a joy. I fail to see the connection to money and the bridge. I have been riding on the road since 1969 but still lack space.... and money. I am totally dependent on my own investments after forty five years of work. Nothing from the government at all.

danno

Non-VOC Member
And now the thread has diverted yet again as per normal.

Yes, noted.
Started with micrometers then tools, space, gearbox in sink etc..
I have enough shims for bearing adjustment and can see the difference in thickness.
Hope there’s enough brass ones for the brake plate clearance. Got the large
washers too.
I’ll reuse the felt seals rather than wait for new ones.

vibrac

VOC Member
It is not the number of bikes but the number of tools. I would love to have a decent mill but space precludes it. To do some real polishing I have to move stuff from A to B. To have an isolated and safe welding area would be a joy. I fail to see the connection to money and the bridge. I have been riding on the road since 1969 but still lack space.... and money. I am totally dependent on my own investments after forty five years of work. Nothing from the government at all.
Painting the forth bridge ... a Brit saying re painting it when you finish the job at the north end its starting to rust at the other end again. Just the same with maintenance tasks on a lot of bikes

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Unless you live outside a city, in Australia the blocks of land are getting smaller and the houses are getting bigger. This leaves little room for a proper shed. When I was house hunting in 2001 I had my priorities: low maintenance, decent garage and a shed. Amazingly my wife had different priorities: large kitchen, separate dining and living areas plus room for a library. The first house we inspected ticked all boxes and house hunting was done in a week. Sometimes you get lucky but now the shed is too small.;);)
So.. the criteria you used did not include room for your wife? But I assume room for the Riley?

vibrac

VOC Member
And now the thread has diverted yet again as per normal.
I think once the main theme is exhausted (and I think in this case its been well done) the conversation moves naturally on as it does with the company of good friends and understanding moderators and we have both of those in plenty here.
My theme about new bikes at the spares company got well plastered but it didn't matter, the message was out there and I had fun trying unsuccessfully to bring it back its a bit like threading spindles through ecentric shims its a delicate matter (OH have I diverted again :eek:!)

Status
Not open for further replies.