H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front wheel shims and bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the spark plug thingy ?, There is a screw on the side of the tube, Maybe if loose you can alter the depth ??.

danno

Non-VOC Member
These things are very handy, Don't get rid of them, You won't use them for years,
Then one day !, Just the job !.
I have a 1 inch, 2 inch and a 4 inch, Just found a longer pin that screws into the 2 inch to make it a 1 inch,
All clever stuff.
If you use the dial thingy for TDC, Don't forget the Piston stays at TDC for few degrees,
The way to do it is to take a reading, Say an inch either side of TDC and with a degree wheel find the middle.
You don't tell us how old you are ?, Sorry if I am over doing it.
To hold the Mic' Put your little finger through the hole with the pin sticking upwards so you can turn the pin
with your thumb and first finger.

Thanks for the advice. Got a fair few obscure tools knocking around and enough, short of a metal turning lathe, to keep the Vin on the road. Lacking a pillar drill too
but someone advised that a hobby mill machine would be a better bet.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Thanks for the advice. Got a fair few obscure tools knocking around and enough, short of a metal turning lathe, to keep the Vin on the road. Lacking a pillar drill too
but someone advised that a hobby mill machine would be a better bet.
If you do take the plunge, Danno, the combined Lathe/ Mill from Machine Mart is a useful piece of kit for the beginner. Cheers, Stu.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I love tools, All sorts, I do a bit of Wood Work too, The Wife used to bring home from Her Boot Fairs,
All sorts of C--p, But I always use them at some time, Sometimes chop them up to make other special tools.
I only now have a Wood Lathe, But have altered it to do a bit of metal work,
A mig welder for me is the best bit of kit.

danno

Non-VOC Member
If you do take the plunge, Danno, the combined Lathe/ Mill from Machine Mart is a useful piece of kit for the beginner. Cheers, Stu.

Nice! Just checked it out.
Used to have a large home engineered wood turning lathe, and a really old pillar drill. Had a wall mounted electric motor.
Did everything on that and had plenty of room for wide stuff plus a heavy vice and
adjustable table.
Had to sell all the big machines sadly due to house move.
Now need to get something compact and versatile to cover most jobs.
Single garage, 3 bikes and tools all over the floor currently.

Attachments

• 20170603_125002.jpg
    20170603_125002.jpg
    416.4 KB · Views: 26

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You have more than a lot of blokes,
These boot fairs are worth going to, I find it strange how cheap tools sell for,
I guess House Clearance after a Chap has Passed,
I don't go, Just drop the Wife off and pick Her up later, I would buy everything :) .

danno

Non-VOC Member
I guess House Clearance after a Chap has Passed,

One place I looked at while house hunting was just that.
All garage contents included in the sale.
Long double rammed full of stuff including a canoe and a step thru scooter bike.
At the back was a small workshop with a huge metal turning lathe and shelves of
baccy tins just like I have.
Quick decision needed so had to pass up on that one.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sounds like just the job !.
The Wife keeps talking Divorce, Silly Cow, We are both 73, But if we did I think most of my stuff would be in the House :D , Like back in the 80s in London, Brother Ron, Membership sec', Said the other day,
What a Sod I was !,
As soon as I moved in I sawed off the banisters on the stairs,
So that I could get my Special round the corner and into the front room !,
I had a metal lathe in there and lots of spares, And a Comet Engine/Gearbox on a coffee table,
I had a sofa and chairs etc, And kept it cleanish,
After the Wife moved in, People often went in there for a cup of tea etc,
She was the only one who didn't like it.
Even Her Daughter and first Grandson were often in there !.

Albervin

VOC Member
Unless you live outside a city, in Australia the blocks of land are getting smaller and the houses are getting bigger. This leaves little room for a proper shed. When I was house hunting in 2001 I had my priorities: low maintenance, decent garage and a shed. Amazingly my wife had different priorities: large kitchen, separate dining and living areas plus room for a library. The first house we inspected ticked all boxes and house hunting was done in a week. Sometimes you get lucky but now the shed is too small.;);)

vibrac

VOC Member
Dont get a lot of space
:confused:
Contrary to common belief the number of bikes you own does not depend on money it depends on how long you have been riding and how much space you have.
I have heard people say 'you cant have too many bikes' they obviously have never spoken to the painter of the Forth bridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.