H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front wheel shims and bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

danno

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Alloy brake plates aside for a mo :D I’m getting a bit closer to finding out the thickness of the shims.
I’ve never used a micrometer before but there’s a useful article on Wikihow on how to read them (thimble and sleeve type).
The Moore & Wright one here has been looked after so that’ll do fine.

The dials are just packed in with the micrometer but don’t know what they’re
supposed to be used with.
One threads into something.

Attachments

• 2359D327-3C24-49EF-B02B-BF46E7D23B4F.jpeg
    2359D327-3C24-49EF-B02B-BF46E7D23B4F.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 26

vibrac

VOC Member
I thought with post #5 I had covered how I do it so re-reading it and hand on heart I have never thought of measuring any shims I cant quite see where that comes in. As I start to take shims out to reduce the clearance I just feel them with my fingers and grab a thinner one or leave it out, In the end I feel that minute clearance and the game stops.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Sorry Danno, We are a Shower, We always drift off and get told off :) ,
Easy way to check the Micrometer is to put a feeler gauge between the gap, You must have feeler gauges for Plug gaps ?, And read off where you are, In thousands of an inch !!!.
The other things are handy, If you have a lathe or some other jobs, The middle one needs some sort of stand,
Not sure if you can buy them without the dial, But I have one that works off a magnet, Just switch the magnet on and off and it will stick to any steel part.
The left one looks to be for a special job ??, That it screws into ??.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I would guess that the left one is for getting TDC by screwing it into the plug hole. You can find out whether the thread is the same as a spark plug. The middle one is, as Bill says, it is fastened to a rod which itself can be fastened into various types of device to hold it on to the work to be measured.. The left one is a standard micrometer and probably has a circular piece in the box which is a regulation one inch diameter to allow the adjustment of the zero point of the micrometer.

Albervin

VOC Member
It is always handy to isolate your shims into separate drawers, tins etc. The only way to do this properly is to use the micrometer, especially when they are unknown off a bike. A good way to spend some isolation time. Ideally you use the least amount of shims for each application so it would be good to know whether you have a 25 thou to replace two 10 thou and a five thou. You could colour code them with coloured texta pens if you want.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
These things are very handy, Don't get rid of them, You won't use them for years,
Then one day !, Just the job !.
I have a 1 inch, 2 inch and a 4 inch, Just found a longer pin that screws into the 2 inch to make it a 1 inch,
All clever stuff.
If you use the dial thingy for TDC, Don't forget the Piston stays at TDC for few degrees,
The way to do it is to take a reading, Say an inch either side of TDC and with a degree wheel find the middle.
You don't tell us how old you are ?, Sorry if I am over doing it.
To hold the Mic' Put your little finger through the hole with the pin sticking upwards so you can turn the pin
with your thumb and first finger.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_111755.jpg
    IMG_20200625_111755.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 34

vibrac

VOC Member
It is always handy to isolate your shims into separate drawers, tins etc. The only way to do this properly is to use the micrometer, especially when they are unknown off a bike. A good way to spend some isolation time. Ideally you use the least amount of shims for each application so it would be good to know whether you have a 25 thou to replace two 10 thou and a five thou. You could colour code them with coloured texta pens if you want.
Ok here is a compromise (which I guess I must have done way back in the many times I have done the job) Measure the damm things and hold them in your fingers and I think you will find you can soon differentiate between the thicknesses by how they distort and feel ( Kinesthetic sence). After all you dont care what they measure just if they are thicker or thinner than the one you take out and if their addition or removal gets you to that magic clearance feel. As I say I have never measured a wheel shim in my life just bought an assorted pack.

danno

Non-VOC Member
Ok here is a compromise (which I guess I must have done way back in the many times I have done the job) Measure the damm things and hold them in your fingers and I think you will find you can soon differentiate between the thicknesses by how they distort and feel ( Kinesthetic sence). After all you dont care what they measure just if they are thicker or thinner than the one you take out and if their addition or removal gets you to that magic clearance feel. As I say I have never measured a wheel shim in my life just bought an assorted pack.

Yes agree. I can tell if the shims are the same thickness really by feel or flexing them.
Maybe being over fussy. As long as there’s similar amount or thickness either
side for keeping wheel central.
I’ll bung it all back, make sure there’s a small amount of play and then check with fingers for centralised wheel position, as Bill mentions.

danno

Non-VOC Member
I would guess that the left one is for getting TDC by screwing it into the plug hole. You can find out whether the thread is the same as a spark plug. The middle one is, as Bill says, it is fastened to a rod which itself can be fastened into various types of device to hold it on to the work to be measured.. The left one is a standard micrometer and probably has a circular piece in the box which is a regulation one inch diameter to allow the adjustment of the zero point of the micrometer.

Yes, thought the thread looked the same as a spark plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.