H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front Wheel Bearings

brian gains

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Looking for the spec's for front wheel bearing on the forum I found good explanation of what I ought to expect on the Comet; metric front, rear and RFM. Stupidly I did not book mark the post and only took note of the Timkin bearing part No. 09074/09196 which I googled;
Brand: Timken
Measurement Unit: Imperial
Inside Diameter: 19.05mm
Outside Diameter: 49.23mm
Width: 23.02mm
Cone Width: 21.54mm
Cup Width: 17.46mm

the measurement unit is given as being imperial so I either took note for H22/1 by mistake or misunderstood dating of machine, can anyone direct me to the original post that ties date of production with what bearing to expect or go to trouble of explaining again for those of us that are hard of thought.
Thanks in advance.

davidd

VOC Member
Here is what I have for the metric bearings:

30204 Dimensions.JPG

I am sorry, but I don't remember where the post was with the dates. I usually just deal with the bearings that are in the hub. The bearings ending in 74 & 96 you mention above are the wide ones. The 67 & 95 bearings are the narrow ones.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Since the metric bearing was only necessitated by the Korean war I guess 1952 would be involved judging by the lack of chrome on my 52 Triumph TR5 petrol tank.

brian gains

VOC Member
thanks for that, Stevens gives '51 as a date but obviously I think the prudent thing to do is inspect what I have. Was hoping to wait until the end of the season but after a quick front end check having nearly broken my wrists (well it felt like it) hitting a collapsed gully under the road the play to the front wheel is in excess of 1/32 has come to light. May be just shims but want to prepare for worst.
ps thanks to Bob at Vincent Spares for good service.

brian gains

VOC Member
after disassembly the front wheel has non adjustable ball bearings retained by threaded collar, any advice on setting up?
thanks

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Not a good set up, I think it was"D's" that had a located ball race on one side and roller the other side but of dimensions that the hub could be set up in a lathe and fixed steady and bore out the bearing housing to take taper bearings, far more practical.
bananaman.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
thanks for that, Stevens gives '51 as a date but obviously I think the prudent thing to do is inspect what I have. Was hoping to wait until the end of the season but after a quick front end check having nearly broken my wrists (well it felt like it) hitting a collapsed gully under the road the play to the front wheel is in excess of 1/32 has come to light. May be just shims but want to prepare for worst.
ps thanks to Bob at Vincent Spares for good service.
According to the Works Order Form the final completion date of my Comet was 13/12/51 and it has metric wheel bearings front n rear BUT Imperial bearings in the RFM pivot!

M

brian gains

VOC Member
The Comet is a '51, no idea of exact date from a works order.
The setup described by Marcus sounds similar to what I have found.

Both bearings are sealed and of different manufacture, The ball bearing ( SKF ) but I could not identify the JAL sealed bearing which must be the plain roller and would have been the same as ET94 according to Stevens.

From the description it sounds as if the ET94 was 'floating' and held in position by thrust washers which would mean axial loads, in at least one direction, taken by the centre race as the outer race would be seated and able to transfer loads on one side where it abutted the screwed down retaining collar. Does that sound right?

As for machining, that sounds like a hell of a job and one for someone with specific Vincent build knowledge apart from a complete wheel rebuild, also would something need to be done about the gear drive to the speedometer.

Think I'll stick with PCV's bodge that seems not at all mechanically well founded and I guess results in faster bearing deterioration. Sounds to me like a p*ss poor set up to get around the lack of availability of adjustable cone bearings.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Brian my handsome, what is your location, as you aint a member so don't know where you be. If you could get the wheel to me, dismantled or other wise with set of tapered bearings, I could do it for you in less than a day with wheel all respoked. I'm in Looe Cornwall PL13 1JY fantastic weather and sea temperature near on 20 degrees C.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Not a good set up, I think it was"D's" that had a located ball race on one side and roller the other side but of dimensions that the hub could be set up in a lathe and fixed steady and bore out the bearing housing to take taper bearings, far more practical.
bananaman.
My D has taper roller bearings all round