Front tyre options

davidjoyner

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Any advice on the following please: I have up graded to V Speet brakes which are really good. Problem now is I need more grip /rubber on the road but love the look of the 20"painted and lined rim looks. Would welcome any suggestions for a solution involving a 20 " rim or at smallest a 19 " rim that can be painted and lined. I am also a fan of TT100 rear tyres and can remember my commando having them front and back which was great. Any and all discussion welcome.

timetraveller

VOC Member
An alternative is to go to a WM2 rim to take the 20" existing tyre. I had never seen this done until I saw Hugh McAllister doing it and was somewhat doubtful. However I asked the local wheel builder about it and he tells me that it was done by several of the 1950/60s English motorcycle manufacturers. It gives a more rounded profile to the 3" tyre and more rubber in contact with the road.

Howard

VOC Member
If you go to a 19" rim Avon AM26 Roadrider tyres are pretty good. I have 100/90 19" on the front and rear of my bike.

I've used Roadriders on my Egli - different beast. I've always been an Avon fan, but I'm sure you'll get comments from riders who don't like them.

I don't know if this is still relevant (they may not still be made), but if you want something really sticky, Avon used to make the old GP and matching front with racing rubber for vintage racers. Might be worth a try if you don't do many miles, they were impressive on my Comet racer. Not sure about 20" but they definitely made a 19". Call Avon not a distrbutor.

H

I've had a quick look at the Avon website, and it looks as though all their sticky tyres have modern tread patterns, so you may as well go for a modern 19" road tyre that will wear longer than race rubber.

H

Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
If you type "tyres" into the search box at the top of the page you will get about 55 related threads & hundreds of posts. Like oil, tyres is a recurring theme for Vincent owners.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Another recommendations for the Avon tyres. When I completed building my Rapide I put a new 19” x 90/90 Roadrider on the front. An unused Avon SM 19” that came with the bits went on the rear. The SM rear did around 6000 miles and was replaced at the end of July last year with a 19” x 100/90 Roadrider. This has now done around 6500 miles and is coming up for replacement. A lot of the miles were completed riding two up. The quite narrow section front still has quite a few miles in it. It seems to give quite precise steering and the modern rubber sticks quite well too.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The 19" front is an alloy rim marked, Dunlop WW1 (2 1/4). The rear looks like an original steel rim. I can't find any markings but I guess it is 19" x WM2.