Front Stands

vincenttwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes it was me re the Honda VCR. 800cc side stands off eBay ,very strong and look good with just a little bit of filing of the stand stop to allow it to retract a little more ,there are photos on the earlier postings . In fact I just put one on my little new imperial ,it was a bit long cut it off and. Re welded a larger washer. For the stand plate and it works well.
All done for 20 bucks
Cheers
peter Allen

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Neil Videan sells a suitable side stand that solves the excessive lean problem AND is easy to operate. He advertises in MPH

Hello Dan, How about fitting a modern type side stand, Bolted to the front of the left pillion footrest plate, It works better from there, I think Bruce told us one off a Honda VF ? 800cc goes on nice, Or a D centre stand. Cheers Bill.

Albervin

VOC Member
The modern sidestands work a treat but of no use in raising the front wheel. If you have everything correct they should work. Even with a 21" front wheel on my Comet I can raise the front with the stands. To achieve this on my B Rapide I have had to fit Series C stands as the originals are just a little too short. Mike breeding makes longer "standard" stands that will solve both the 40º lean and the inability to raise the front wheel.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
A little known fact about side stands on C twins with original dampers . Some show an odd quirk , they topple over after a few minutes when parked on a std prop stand . But why ? They seem to sit fairly stable when parked but something devilish is at work here . The original dampers had hydralic limit stops at both ends of travel if all is in order and the fluid hasent already leaked out .
But as they sit that trapped oil leaks past the internal clearances , the fork springs act to push the front end higher , and over goes the bike ! . It over tops the stand . No one touched it , it simply is a topple waiting to happen . Brampton forked bikes don't do this .
Sid .

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Also, as my little old apple-cheeked Grandma used to say, after removing the sucked egg from between her dentures: "always turn the front wheel TOWARDS the stand which is down!" This helps a little, but is not proof against soft tar or soggy surfaces. After more than 40 years of "B" and "C" Twins and Singles I have become a practitioner of the ancient Bardic art of MICROTOPOGRAPHY, which is being able to suss out, before the motor stops, a hollow for the front wheel, a convenient little knoll for either propstand, or at worst a sturdy tree to rest the handlebars against after tightening the steering damper!

craig

VOC Member
where are the details on purchasing this "canted" side stand bracket?
scan0006.jpg

ossie

VOC Member
yep agreed allways turn front wheel towards the stand that is down or it could go walkabouts.
i found this out 40 odd years ago.
OSSIE

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Some advocate using the right hand stand to drain oil in the trans main shaft bore or OD away from the clutch.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Craig,
I made that front stand bracket from a 'one-off' casting based on an idea in MPH (Bert Weiss, I think) to cut the existing casting and re-weld the stand lugs at 10* from the vertical. Those details are in FYO.
Paul.