Misc: Stands Front stand on twins - series C

Ducvelo

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
1. I'm trying to get the front stand to work on a series C. There seems to be a stop missing, so when you loosen the set screw to swing it forward, it doesn't stop in the vertical position. I bought FT 123 from the VOC, but firstly it seems too big for the hole in the rh engine plate, and secondly it's too short to engage with the flat part on FT 119. What should be here, is there a trick I'm missing?

2. Also, any suggestions on the prop stands. They seem almost useless, because of the extreme angle they prop the bike up at. I saw a picture of the Shadow that the spares company built, and the prop stand seemed to work ok there. Is there an adjustment, modified part that improves things.

Thanks for any help on these two points.

Ducvelo

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
Ducvelo,
the stop FT123 fits in th same 5/16 clearance hole on the right plate thet the set screw uses on the LH plate.
If the stop seems too short, and the stands useless, I wonder if someone fitted a Comet set which has a shorter FT118.
Tatty

Albervin

VOC Member
The stands are barely safe when using a 20" front wheel and useless if using a 21". The common fix is to carry a piece of hardwood in your pocket to place underneath. Otherwise have them expertly bent to
give a better lean angle. Both stands need to be bent to the same angle so you can still use them to raise the front of the machine for front wheel removal. As far as your fitting problems are concerned, you may save a lot of head scratching by comparing to other machines at a section meeting.

rapcom

VOC Member
The front stands on Vincents can be made to work perfectly satisfactorily by following the mod in Page 33, MPH 352, May 1978, by Bert Weisz.
In short, you alter the pivot angles of the prop stand legs by 10 degrees from the vertical, by machining off the lugs on FT118 and replacing them with turned new ones, solidly welded to the main casting. Build up the weld copiously, and grind/file it back to the desired angle, because the position of the legs (both up and down) will be dictated by the weld acting as a stop to the movement.
I have done this mod to two machines, single and twin, and it transforms the stands to the functionality that they should have had all along.
Use of both stands together to lift the front of the machine is not affected.
Ducvelo, if you don't have that MPH, I can send you the drawing, or you can find it in 40 Years On.

Last edited:

Ducvelo

VOC Member
Thanks, found it in 40 years on. My photocopy is not great, and I can't read the x in the sentence: "New lugs x.38 diameter, 1.5" long ..." Is x 0, or something else Presumably this dimension is inches.
If you can help me on this, I'll be ready to take it to the machining shop.
Ducvelo

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks, found it in 40 years on. My photocopy is not great, and I can't read the x in the sentence: "New lugs x.38 diameter, 1.5" long ..." Is x 0, or something else Presumably this dimension is inches.
If you can help me on this, I'll be ready to take it to the machining shop.
Ducvelo

My copy reads; "New lugs .88 diameter, 1.5 inches long were made, with a .438 diameter hole set in the grooves and welded all around."

Dimensions would be inches as these gems of wisdom came from old issues of MPH, so old that it was probably before millimetres were invented.:)

davidjoyner

Non-VOC Member
Quoted verbatim:
The bracket was set up in a vice on a milling machine and a 0.44 radius groove cut at 10deg angle. New lugs 0.88 diameter x 1.5 inches long were made, with a hole diameter of 0.438. this was set into the grooves and welded all round. The stops at points x & Y may have to be built up and adjusted so that the prop stands lie in the original positions under the engine
There is no dim for X or Y. If you would like I'll copy you the page, would recommend a new copy of the book tho'.
Dave

Ducvelo

VOC Member
Thanks for all the clarifications on getting the prop stand to work, that's great. I'm going to try out this mod.
On the Front Stand, I've discovered that the FT123 stop that goes into LH plate is broken off. How is this fixed in the engine plate - is it just interference? Do you need to heat up the plate to replace?
Ducvelo