Front Spring Boxes - pressure relief hole

aluminiumbronze

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Over greasing the springs and spring box tubes can make them almost act hydraulically, I drill a 1/4 hole between the bottom spring tube mounting spades.

Black Flash

VOC Member
I Could not remember I wrote in this thread 6 years ago. But I shortened an old set of spring boxes last month to accommodate the springs used in conjunction with the modified steering stem.
Pumping them by hand I thought a hole at the bottom between the spades would be a good good idea, so I did it..... Just as I supposed 6 years ago.
Bloody hell I am getting old.

Bernd

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
I Could not remember I wrote in this thread 6 years ago. But I shortened an old set of spring boxes last month to accommodate the springs used in conjunction with the modified steering stem.
Pumping them by hand I thought a hole at the bottom between the spades would be a good good idea, so I did it..... Just as I supposed 6 years ago.
Bloody hell I am getting old.

Bernd
I am using the modified steering stem on one bike and shortening the spring box lengths has been suggested to prevent bottoming out, on the list of jobs to do shortly.

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Sorted. I cut 2" off the inners and used coarse grinding paste between the boxes to ease then off. Front end now moves. Rear end was similarly stiff. I found that the upper and lower ends of the seat struts were binding and locking up. Everything now moves.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have often thought that the front spring boxes were the ideal place to fit a hydralic damper where all the modern practice of longstroke hydralics and springs developed with telescopic forks could be employed to good advantage. The late John Surtess actually put the idea into practice on his 1000 but I am also reminded about his escapade at the Goodwood festival on the hill. Perhaps with the revised geometry of the steering stem this might be a fruitful area?

upload_2017-5-19_9-51-45.png

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Max Lambky built a replica of that bike, but I don't remember what he used for the dampers.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Top riders like John Surtees, George Brown and so on could have ridden their bikes through corners rough or smooth, with much more confidence and reduced risk of a "Tank Slapper" if the front ends on their bikes had the improved steering geometry and other improvements we have available now. Sadly we'll never know how much, and there are very little Vincent's on the track these days.