Front Number Plate

Pharquarx

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Are there any British firms that make replica front number plates? I imported my 1950 Comet from the UK late last year and, of course, it has the rear British plate and the tax disk. I have now acquired a 1947 California motorcycle license plate and a 1950 metal year tag and registered the bike as such. Our DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) allows a vehicle older than 1962 to be registered under a YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate. I can attach the California plate over the rear British plate, but it pretty much obscures the British plate. Wanting to retain and display the heritage on this wonderful machine, I want to get a front number plate with the British numbers. My bike did not come with one.

Thanks for your help.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Are there any British firms that make replica front number plates? I imported my 1950 Comet from the UK late last year and, of course, it has the rear British plate and the tax disk. I have now acquired a 1947 California motorcycle license plate and a 1950 metal year tag and registered the bike as such. Our DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) allows a vehicle older than 1962 to be registered under a YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate. I can attach the California plate over the rear British plate, but it pretty much obscures the British plate. Wanting to retain and display the heritage on this wonderful machine, I want to get a front number plate with the British numbers. My bike did not come with one.

Thanks for your help.
Charlie,

Try the helpful Mr Tipper at www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk

I had a rear pressed aluminium made up for my bike 2 years ago, it was a super job and I was very pleased with the quality of the work.

Have him wrap it up very well, possibly between thin sheet wood, to protect it on the journey to you.

The website will show you what you need to know, he will make things to a template you cut him in card or wood to match your front mudguard.

You'll have seen some photo's I'm sure where the owner has mounted the front plate across the brake plates well.

Best of luck.

Stuart

G

Graham Smith

I'd agree with Stuart with Tippers.

I had a set of plates my for my Black Shadow about four years ago, and they still look as good as new.

Mind you, as some people will know - they still haven't been on the Shadow yet, and are still sitting on a bookshelf in my office!

I'm sure they'll look good on the bike eventually.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I assume you do not have the enemy with forward facing cameras where you live! If you really must have one Gilbert Tipper is the man .

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Forward facing cameras

Although CCTV images on TV always look as though they were taken through a lens smeared with Vaseline, in fact the images are pin-sharp. Don't tell anyone i told you this, we're not supposed to know. Nor are we supposed to know that forward facing revenue cameras produce an image sharp enough to allow the barcode on your tax-disc to be read when taken at a range of several hundred metres.
On a completely different subject, few people realise the aerodynamic drag a forward facing tax disc creates, and that placing it edge on vastly decreases drag coefficient and reduces fuel consumption. Get green today...

I assume you do not have the enemy with forward facing cameras where you live! If you really must have one Gilbert Tipper is the man .