FF: Forks Front Mudguard / Fender Installation

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I was laying out the items I need to install the Front Mudguard / Fender (I am going with Stainless Steel), including new Stays on my 1948 Rapide with Brampton Girder Forks. Referring to MO30, I realized it doesn't show what goes on the underside of the Mudguard! And the Mudguard is not even shown on MO63 for Girdraulic Forks. MO30 shows 1/4 BSF bolts (188 or (later) 589) with washers (92) go through the loops or eyes on the Stays (with loops to rear on front stay and down on rear stay) and then through the Mudguard. But what goes on the underside? Just the 1/4 BSF nuts (91)? Or with washers (92) and/or lock washers (590)? Nuts only would dig into the Mudguard and might be somewhat self locking but could make an unsightly dent and tear through the metal over time. Washers would spread the load on the mudguard and have less of a tendency to tear through the Mudguard. Advice, please.

Also, does Front Stay attach outboard of Rear Stay where they share a common bolt at the bottom of the forks?
Thank you.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning John,
This is the "D" open front mudguard, And doesn't show much either !,
But I would use washers inside and Nyloc nuts,
I use Penny / Big washers under the middle fixing, Maybe cut a bit off the washer,
So they don't touch each other .
I too prefer Stainless guards, Much stronger, But you won't get an Award for it ?.
Cheers Bill.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_063009 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210829_063009 (2).jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 18

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
I was laying out the items I need to install the Front Mudguard / Fender (I am going with Stainless Steel), including new Stays on my 1948 Rapide with Brampton Girder Forks. Referring to MO30, I realized it doesn't show what goes on the underside of the Mudguard! And the Mudguard is not even shown on MO63 for Girdraulic Forks. MO30 shows 1/4 BSF bolts (188 or (later) 589) with washers (92) go through the loops or eyes on the Stays (with loops to rear on front stay and down on rear stay) and then through the Mudguard. But what goes on the underside? Just the 1/4 BSF nuts (91)? Or with washers (92) and/or lock washers (590)? Nuts only would dig into the Mudguard and might be somewhat self locking but could make an unsightly dent and tear through the metal over time. Washers would spread the load on the mudguard and have less of a tendency to tear through the Mudguard. Advice, please.

Also, does Front Stay attach outboard of Rear Stay where they share a common bolt at the bottom of the forks?
Thank you.
I think the bolt goes through the stay and guard with no washer Then the washer and nut under the guard

greg brillus

VOC Member
Lower stay fork attachment goes outboard of the upper forward stay lugs.......this helps shift the stay out slightly to give extra room for the brake plate anchor pins........It pays to bend them slightly to give that bit extra room for these pins so the wheel/brake assembly goes into place without taking paint off everywhere. Yes no washers where the bolts pass through the stay on the outside, and washers/nuts to the inside........if nyloc's are not easy to find, once you do a fit up and are happy with the alignment of the guard/stays, then remove the plain nuts one at a time and use some low strength loctite on them and then tighten fully. It is worth tweaking the stay lugs a tad if necessary so they contact the guard surface with minimal distortion, or else it can bend the guard, even the stronger than alloy stainless ones will as well.........Sometimes you need to use spacers under the center attach brackets where the balance beam goes, if the shape of the guard is limited........if you make these in alloy and paint them black you will never notice them on the bike........it is always good practice to reduce the strain on the guards when you fit them, or else they can crack in service.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have never liked the stays going on the outside,
Picked up some stainless stays that loop round " Inside ", I think they are for Norton ?,
But only for 19" wheels !.
I won't win awards either !.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_175447 (5).jpg
    IMG_20191021_175447 (5).jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 33

Albervin

VOC Member
Thank you to all for the answers and suggestions you have given me.
A tip. Cover the guards with paint masking tape to avoid scratching them. It is also easier to mark the drilling spots on the tape. An extra pair of hands is useful. Fit the stays and set them up to the angle that pleases your eyes then tighten them up. Once you align the guard make sure there is equal spacing under the balance beam. Using a spring loaded centre punch mark the front holes first. Then do the same with the rear holes. Finally the holes for the L brackets, and as Greg says, you may need to use some washers there. Still with the paper tape on, fasten up and check that none of the holes need relieving with a file. Remove guard, remove tape and lock it all up. At this point it is too late to realise you have mounted the rear stay upside down!

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
Embarrassing admission time. In working to initially fit to the mudguard to the forks, I have mixed the stays up and do not know for sure which is front and which is rear. One stands about an inch taller (or is longer) than the other and has longer flat area by the mounting holes, so I was thinking that would go to the front with the shorter one to rear to give more clearance with the mag cover (I have read that can be an issue). But it could go the other way. This seems like a good time to ask rather than guess. I would hate to take it somewhere and have a bunch of Vincent owners looking at it thinking the mudguard looks odd and the idiot has the fender stays on backwards!
Thank you.