ET: Engine (Twin) Front EXH follower spindle on the piss ET30/3 ( a cure)

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So you got extra main shafts pressed in ? A lot easier to do for sure, but I prefer one piece crank webs with main shafts, that is why I had to place a big spacer under the crank on the lathe plate. For trueing up the assembled crankshaft I place it on veeblocks at bearing places and test on extreme ends for runout. So I can see EXACTLY what the crank does in the engine, no guesswork like with setting the crank "between centers" . My cranks were allright as shown in youtube earlier.
Yes, the warer cooled spindles get plain water from a tap, just a very small trickle is all you need and after use just blow it dry with air. But only needed in lengthy operations really. Would not want air cooled types, quite noisy I guess at 30 000 rpm I guess.
Another matter: I´d laser weld the oil hole in the follower shut. This oil hole is just as bad as holes in a cam lobe when on the lifting lobe segment. You don´t want a hole in a place with high loads as you spoil the oil film with breaking the oil wedge from any hole ! I do not believe in the logic of oil supply from the pushrods running down from rocker oiling and getting to the follower oil hole - most unlikely to me, thinking of the very fast moving rockers and followers rather flinging any oil off before reaching the cam. Better look for a lot more oil into the cam spindles instead.

Vic