Front Disk Brake

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
One of the random photos that display on the main Forum page showed a disk front brake with a dummy backing plate to carry the speedo gearbox, allowing the standard setup. I never noticed that before. Do most conversions depend on a bicycle speedo or GPS for knowing what the speed is?

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Hi Bruce,

Most will use a small enclosure (Usually a small saucepan stolen from the kitchen) to make the dish to hide the standard drive gears.
If you PM Brian Chapman or Ian Savage they have drawings of the system first used by Brian, then later refined by Ian, along with details on the discs and calipers used.

Best regards
Neil

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I was just curious. I am happy with my gusseted backing plates, balance beam outrigger and heavy cable.

It is good to know that the info is available and one wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel.

Hi Bruce,

Most will use a small enclosure (Usually a small saucepan stolen from the kitchen) to make the dish to hide the standard drive gears.
If you PM Brian Chapman or Ian Savage they have drawings of the system first used by Brian, then later refined by Ian, along with details on the discs and calipers used.

Best regards
Neil