Front Brake Cables

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know if most all the pre war series "A" machines had the front brake cable from the handlebar lever to the right side of the balance beam, and the short one on the left side. Getting ready to make some cables..............Cheers.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Figure 85 in "Richardson" has that set-up, for a start.
That photo / figure is wrong. On series A's the long brake cable should go down the same side as the handlebar brake lever and not cross over to the other side. Because of this you cannot use the later brake cable of a series C which is too long.
This was confirmed to me by Bob Stafford when I asked him.

See attached photo of an unrestored bike owned by the same family from new.

Also attached are some photos of early series B's showing exactly the same so it could be all Brampton bikes had a different brake cable setup to the series C Girdraulic fork bikes and series B should also have the long cable going down the same side as the handlebar brake lever.
Simon

Last edited:

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Looking at my copy of Richardson, fig 85 is looking at the right side (timing side) of the bike as I would call it and I can only see the short brake cable going from the balance beam downwards. If you look you can see the long cable from the handlebar brake lever going into the far side (primary) of the balance beam and this is wrong. My copy of Richardson is a modern one and older versions may show different images.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Simon, I cant seem to enlarge those pictures you've put on there, but It seems the early post war bikes with Brampton's had the same cable set up, so that must have been the norm for all the pre war bikes I guess, so that's what I'll go with............ Cheers.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Greg, just click on the photos and a full size image should pop up. Works on my PC and iPad. Maybe you have some sort of pop up blocker.
Just altered my first post to show the photos full size
Simon