H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake air scoop on my Comet

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If you really want to upgrade your frontbrake you should think About Fitting a replacement.The Speet brake or the brake from black Flash which have both the Twin leading shoes. The original frontbrake I would not recommend in modern traffic.If you have an Impact in a car the Damage on your bike could be more expensive than better Brakes! Erik

davidd

VOC Member
First, regarding the brake adjustment routine, Mark Symonds did a very nice job of describing the procedure. I have always done it a bit differently, but one of the benefits of writing is that you get the chance to describe your process to yourself first and you often learn something about your procedure through explaining that process to yourself.

Second, regarding improving the Vincent brakes, the problem is truly systemic. Yes, you can get every adjustment a little better, but before opting for a different brake, I would urge you to consider a new steering stem. The use of an improved brake is strongly counteracted by the stock steering stem, which can make large improvements in the brake quite dangerous. In general, adjusting the brakes correctly will not cause serious problems, but changing to discs or four leading shoes can lead to bad behavior.

Finally, the stock shoes and linings are inadequate. Good alternatives are available. There are many more minor issues like poor cables, weak brake plates and improper levers. Most owners focus on these last three to the exclusion of all others for the reason that they have received lots of attention over the years.

I understand that you want a manageable winter project and I think that can be done. Some of these improvements are only necessary at competition levels and not necessarily required for everyday street work, even if they are improvements. Many owners have found that ribbed drums and Lightning plates have improved the front brake, as well. It might be useful to list all the options that exist and decide which of them can be accomplished easily and which ones are too difficult or too expensive.

David

Attachments

• Vincent Brake Adjustment.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 33

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Than
First, regarding the brake adjustment routine, Mark Symonds did a very nice job of describing the procedure. I have always done it a bit differently, but one of the benefits of writing is that you get the chance to describe your process to yourself first and you often learn something about your procedure through explaining that process to yourself.

Second, regarding improving the Vincent brakes, the problem is truly systemic. Yes, you can get every adjustment a little better, but before opting for a different brake, I would urge you to consider a new steering stem. The use of an improved brake is strongly counteracted by the stock steering stem, which can make large improvements in the brake quite dangerous. In general, adjusting the brakes correctly will not cause serious problems, but changing to discs or four leading shoes can lead to bad behavior.

Finally, the stock shoes and linings are inadequate. Good alternatives are available. There are many more minor issues like poor cables, weak brake plates and improper levers. Most owners focus on these last three to the exclusion of all others for the reason that they have received lots of attention over the years.

I understand that you want a manageable winter project and I think that can be done. Some of these improvements are only necessary at competition levels and not necessarily required for everyday street work, even if they are improvements. Many owners have found that ribbed drums and Lightning plates have improved the front brake, as well. It might be useful to list all the options that exist and decide which of them can be accomplished easily and which ones are too difficult or too expensive.

David
Thanks David!!!

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
WHAT BRAKES? mine never worked right just another thing to think about when i put the bike on the ramp soon

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
oh i only had the rear brakes working and the bike would only do about 95 as it is sidecar geared and who needs front brakes any way and it is now mothballed over revved a bit and made none vincent rattle and has been like that for about 18 months.