H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front brake air scoop on my Comet

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dear all,
looking for advices.
I'm now working on wheels and renew the brake shoes.
I was thinking, as winter job, to add the air scoop on the front brake but would like to know from you if the modification pay the job (not really big) and if I'll have some benefit or it is just a makeup useless and expensive?
Thanks

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You say "add the air scoop" so do you have Lightning plates? That is enough for the road. Look at cables, brake shoes and linings, the brake cam etc. It is often the things you cannot see that make the difference.

vibrac

VOC Member
Back in the early sixties I remember slavishly coping the elongated round ended hole shown in the 'little red book' on to my set of steel plates and bending up some alloy sheet for scoops. There were no copy alloy or mag plates back then and we had to wait till Roger Slater started his business ventures. Getting info was hard I remember starting a little note book and at night after club nights at the Oxford section jotting any racing ideas down. I think that's where the infamous broom handle suspension idea came from.

erik

VOC Member
IMG_6005[1].JPG

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
You say "add the air scoop" so do you have Lightning plates? That is enough for the road. Look at cables, brake shoes and linings, the brake cam etc. It is often the things you cannot see that make the difference.
Actually I was thinking to modify brake plate as from Paul Richardson book but understood that it is not needed and it seem to be a vaste of time, thanks.
Now, could you explain, step by step, how to best set the brake balancer. I been many different forum and bit confused. Looking for a easy going procedure to do it.
Thanks

Attachments

• brakeplate.jpg
    brakeplate.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 25

davidd

VOC Member
Ernesto,

The front brake adjustment procedure was mentioned recently in 858 MPH on page 23. The article describes an easy way to adjust the brakes.

David

Ernesto

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Ernesto,

The front brake adjustment procedure was mentioned recently in 858 MPH on page 23. The article describes an easy way to adjust the brakes.

David
Thet is where I read about .... but believe or not I could not found that MPH number at home. I have 857 and 859 but miss the good one's!! :mad:. Could you copi the article and add to the reply? Thanks.
BTW, have you notice that September MPH number was 850 and NOT 860 as ut should be??
Thanks