F: Frame Friction Damper

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
On the C rapide which i restore are friction dampers on the rfm which have discs made of steel ,cadmium plated with three holes of different sizes.On my C comet there are discs in the dampers which are Aluminium alloy or stainless steel and only two holes.What is correct?regards Erik

A_HRD

VOC Member
Two Holes. The centre one is 5/16 dia for FT129 bolt with a thinned and reduced head (0.445" Across Flats).
On early Series B machines the other hole had a 2BA bolt fitted (0.187" dia), but that was soon increased to 0.250" dia for a 1/4 BSF Bolt.

Peter B

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I've never seen stainless steel friction drums on an original machine, any other observations out there? I have one original? cad. plated drum with holes 2B.A., 1/4" and centre of 5/16". Perhaps its one of those RARE TRANSITION MODELS!!!!!! Or, more likely a bit of "make-do" scrimping at the Works. Why they didn't just enlarge the 2 B.A. hole is just another of those little beguiling mysteries.

erik

VOC Member
the rapide is from 1951 and has the older design of the ufm .the friction drums are looking original and are not solid.they are hollow on the inside looking like cast parts.