• For any queries related to registration, engine numbers, frame numbers or buying a Vincent motorcycle, the only Club Officials who have access to all the Factory (Works) Records up to 1954 (including dispatch records) and worldwide ownership details gathered by the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club since 1948 are Simon Dinsdale (Machine Registrar) and Jonathan Lambley (Machine Researcher).

Never rely on Certificates of Authenticity or Dating Certificates issued years ago, nor information provided by sellers. You should always satisfy yourself that you know what you're buying before you bid/buy. Always do your own due diligence.

Simon and Jonathan can be contacted by following THIS LINK.
  • Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

Fraudulent Ebay advert

vibrac

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
It wont last long once ebay find him trying to slip his email through their system

Lambers

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It wont last long once ebay find him trying to slip his email through their system
Yes, the latest trend is to put it in the photographs which eBay don't seem to check for.
The annoying thing is that eBay don't seem to care and keep letting them post blatantly fraudulent adverts

kerry

VOC Member
This chap who is NOT in UK . He does about 400+ adverts every week, he clones a sellers account, takes a few deposits from silly bargain hunters and the advert disappears as does the deposits, eBay should stop him sooner, sometimes he can usually last about a day before eBay take him off, he is soon back on, does it most days. I have been following him for over a year.....Kerry.

Herman-Handlebars

VOC Member
I've also reported a number of his adverts too, but as above, little seems to have deterred them. They seem to know a what is interesting to sell, and inviting for people looking for that rare find.

Lambers

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've had a conversation with eBay and they said they take it very seriously...yeah right

Last edited by a moderator:

Lambers

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
All we can do is all report it to eBay. At least we know about it.

peter holmes

VOC Member
You would have to be pretty stupid to be fooled by this scam, I am not going to shout from the rooftops why it is so blatantly obvious that the adverts are not genuine, but short of putting in upper case letters "THIS ADVERT IS A SCAM, PERPETRATED BY A CONMAM" he does everything else to leave you in no doubt.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I always said I would not get caught by the phone scammers, But one day I rang Talk Talk,
Could not get through, And a short time later they phoned me !!, Bad timing + Me Silly Old Sod.
They played me like a Fish !, They even got inside my screen, And the Bloke said is that your Bike on the
Screen saver, Gulp !!.
He told me his name, But where he came from was not ENGLAND !!.
When He started talking, Send Money, I thought , That's enough.
They didn't get any money out of me, But the phone to the fraud squad cost me £2., So I was lucky,
Having spoke to my Computer Man, Plus the Police, A lot of people have lost a lot of money,
They are very clever, If you are having a bad day, they are in !.

kerry

VOC Member
I reported it at around 9 am, it is still on at 2.30pm and even has a bid, also he has 2,646 other items, cars m/c's boats tractors trailers lorries etc, and more, only needs a couple of deposits to pay for his efforts which he does every day, ironically I listed a little antique silver fruit knife and it was taken off in under an hour !!

LoneStar

VOC Member
These come up regularly - usually it's a legitimate account that's been hacked. This one has 2645 listings, with images offering unrealistic "Buy it Now" figures. I reported it too, but Ebay is fairly slow at dealing with them.

It's fun to bid the fake auctions up to the stratosphere - sadly, this scammer only wishes to defraud UK residents, so I'm not allowed to bid.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
What I have difficulty understanding is most developed western nations have laws concerning fraud. Be it mail fraud, credit card fraud, insurance fraud, etc... These same nations boast about their ongoing efforts against cyber crime in the form of hacking, of hostile nations gaining access to military secrets and the like. They claim they can track down perpetrators of some of these crimes in a matter of hours, days or weeks, depending on their level of sophistication of the attack. Legitimate online auction site users out of million if not billions of (insert your currency here). Yet the populace does not put pressure on their respective governments to use the tools available to track these individuals down, nor do we pressure the online auction site to cooperate with law enforcement to track them down. We also don't pressure our respective governments to put diplomatic pressure, sanctions on hostile governments who harbor these criminals. So it falls to us to keep each other informed about these clowns when we find them, which is a good and laudable thing.
So do we not care that our elected officials do nothing with the tools our tax dollars have bought or do we have a perverse fascination with playing a Russian roulette of sorts with our hard earned cash on Evil Bay?

kerry

VOC Member
Totally agree, he has done this for well over a year, virtually every day, must be making money from the unknowing, bargain hunters, and silly buyers, eBay just don't seem to care yet they have software that stops email addresses, phone numbers etc !

Graham Smith

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
The scammer obviously has a load of hacked eBay accounts, and when one is closed down, he's able to upload all his ads to another.

It just goes to show that you should never use the same email and password combination for different sites.

All someone would need to do is hack a poorly protected site and get access to your email and password, then they'll potentially have access to your PayPal, eBay, bank account etc etc.

Be smart - don't use the same password for multiple sites.

MartynG

VOC Member
The scammer obviously has a load of hacked eBay accounts, and when one is closed down, he's able to upload all his ads to another.

It just goes to show that you should never use the same email and password combination for different sites.

All someone would need to do is hack a poorly protected site and get access to your email and password, then they'll potentially have access to your PayPal, eBay, bank account etc etc.

Be smart - don't use the same password for multiple sites.
Graham, As a professional in the area would you recommend the use of a password manager? Which one?

kerry

VOC Member
The scammer is back on again this morning, now has 2397 items to try and con us with !

I watched much of Mathewson's auction Saturday , 2 Vincents Black Shadow reached £43500 and Black Knight the same, £43500. ( The scammer would list them at about £5000 ) prices were well down again, a nice 1954 T110 only got to £4600 that would have been around £7000 a while back.

Kerry.