Frame straightening

snowie

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello, can anyone recommend a UK firm to check and if need be straighten the frame of my Vincent Comet Series A? Many thanks?

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello, can anyone recommend a UK firm to check and if need be straighten the frame of my Vincent Comet Series A? Many thanks?

Hi Snowie,

I can't answer your question directly, but I'll make a 3 comments that might be worthwhile. Firstly, there is a "factory tweak" in the upper frame just behind the headstock which is supposed to be there. Don't straighten this out or you might find nothing fits! Which leads me to my second point. Someone I know straightened-out various parts of his frame, only to find that his engine/gearbox assembly would not fit. So if you do find someone to do the job, you should ideally supply him with the engine/gearbox lump.

Thirdly, I know someone with a jig for the purpose; however he is very busy and probably would not want to do the job himself. PM me if you want his details...

All the above assumes you are NOT talking about the RFM (rear frame member).

Regards,

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

Last edited:

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have the dimensions for A frames as taken from original "unmolested" examples. My single frame appeared to be fine, but my twin frame was well tweaked. We know it collided with a car in 1958! I have a mate who has a 3 ft X 6 ft X 1/2" thick steel plate which is drilled and tapped 1/2" unc on 2" centres. You just take every v block and mill clamp you can lay your hands on, and start bolting! I also built a jig for RFM's as Ii had two that needed repairing. It was built from what I think was a good and straight one. Trouble with all this is of course that I am on the west coast of Canada!!

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
before we begin on a long +possibly boring tutorial, why do you think this expeniture is neccesary? Have you ridden this bike? if so what were the deficiacies noticed. Somebody halfway famous has already said "they all ride like that ,guvnor!".

snowie

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
When last rode bike it didn't handle good on righthand corners. Previous owner had dropped it on bend and bike hit bank. After that he told me bike never handled the same and now wears very quickly rear sprocket and final drive sprocket on the outside. What do you suggest please? I am not an engineer or mechanic but enjoy working on machine.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Hi Snowie,
It sounds like you definitly have a problem. Have you considered stripping the Comet down and getting the frame, rfm and forks to Conway's? A Comets handle really well when all is correct. Devon to Kent isn't that big of a trip. They'll not only assess your problem, but fix it too. ;-))
Cheers, John

b'knighted

VOC Member
Devon to Kent isn't that big of a trip

Hi Snowie,

If Mudeford is really in Devon, come to section meetings and you’ll find that several of us have long bits of string and big hammers. I’m sure the same is true of most sections.

Cheers,