Forum Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Graham Smith

The forum may be off-line intermittently over the next few days due to a big software upgrade.

Please bear with me incase it all goes horribly wrong!

Graham

ray vinmad

VOC Drawings Manager
VOC Member
I hate software upgrades.

But what would be useful is a `New Posts' button at the bottom of each page.

Ray

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The forum may be off-line intermittently over the next few days due to a big software upgrade.

Please bear with me incase it all goes horribly wrong!

Graham

HI Graham

Who would I talk to about becoming a moderator? I have over 50 years of Vincent experience, have owned one or more Vincents since I was 23 years old .Was battalion commander RTC in charge of 12 companies with 700 men. Hold two world Vincent records , and over 30 trophy's for speed and bike shows. I would moderate by the forums rules and not act on hearsay or be bias in anyway.

Max O Lambky

Max O Lambky

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Was battalion commander RTC in charge of 12 companies with 700 men.
OK, I'm puzzled. I'm sure it's because I don't understand military ranks, but not long ago you wrote:

Max O. Lambky CWO 3 USN RET.
I thought CWO stood for Chief Warrant Officer. However, in this latest post you say you were a battalion commander, and according to Wikipedia:

A battalion is a military unit with 300 to 1,200 soldiers that usually consists of two to seven companies and is commanded by either a lieutenant colonel or a colonel, if in the United States Army or the United States Marine Corps. Sorry for my ignorance on this, but are there battalions in the navy, and is a CWO equivalent to a Colonel?

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
OK, I'm puzzled. I'm sure it's because I don't understand military ranks, but not long ago you wrote:

I thought CWO stood for Chief Warrant Officer. However, in this latest post you say you were a battalion commander, and according to Wikipedia:

A battalion is a military unit with 300 to 1,200 soldiers that usually consists of two to seven companies and is commanded by either a lieutenant colonel or a colonel, if in the United States Army or the United States Marine Corps. Sorry for my ignorance on this, but are there battalions in the navy, and is a CWO equivalent to a Colonel?

Keep in mind, we are talking about the Navy's recruit training command not a field command RTC is the key. The base commander was a full captain I received orders to report to the CO RTC on FEB 26 ,1974 captain BEVIN assigned me to battalion 13 RTC AS BATILION COMANDER. I had 12 Chief Petty Officers and 12 First Class Petty Officers and 700 recruits under my command . I left RTC JAN 31 1977. I retired a few months later. During my command I was promoted from CWO 2 to CWO3. Go to my web sight, look under MAX my military career is a open book. vincentstreamliner.com The Chief's were company commanders. The First Class POs were Executive Officers.

G

Graham Smith

Who would I talk to about becoming a moderator? I have over 50 years of Vincent experience, have owned one or more Vincents since I was 23 years old .Was battalion commander RTC in charge of 12 companies with 700 men. Hold two world Vincent records , and over 30 trophy's for speed and bike shows. I would moderate by the forums rules and not act on hearsay or be bias in anyway.

Hi Max

We currently have six active moderators on the forum based in the USA, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom - all of different ages, but I think I'm the youngest at 47. Being from different countries/continents and different ages, I personally feel this is a pretty diverse spread of people. These moderators were early users and supporters of the forum project and most have visited and contributed to the forum on a daily basis. Problems with forum users/posts aren't taken by moderators unilaterally, they're discussed with other moderators for other views/opinions.

Being relatively small, our forum is generally self-moderating and 99.99999% of users act in a mature and responsible manner. There's usually a good bit of banter, but there has to be a 'line' and most people know where that 'line' is. There's not many occasions where moderators have to step in and actually moderate - I'm sure all regular users will agree. From memory we have only ever had to ban one user, and I'm led to believe this person went on to become a regular user on jtan where he relished in causing similar havoc.

To summarise, at the present time we have sufficient people in place to moderate this forum (which is pretty small in real terms), plus I already have a waiting list of long-standing Club Members who have already offered to help previously. However, I can put you on my list and notify you in the future should an opportunity arise.

Regards - Graham

Last edited by a moderator:

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
Hi Max

We currently have six active moderators on the forum based in the USA, Canada, Australia and the United Kingdom - all of different ages, but I think I'm the youngest at 47. Being from different countries/continents and different ages, I personally feel this is a pretty diverse spread of people. These moderators were early users and supporters of the forum project and most have visited and contributed to the forum on a daily basis. Problems with forum users/posts aren't taken by moderators unilaterally, they're discussed with other moderators for other views/opinions.

Being relatively small, our forum is generally self-moderating and 99.99999% of users act in a mature and responsible manner. There's usually a good bit of banter, but there has to be a 'line' and most people know where that 'line' is. There's not many occasions where moderators have to step in and actually moderate - I'm sure all regular users will agree. From memory we have only ever had to ban one user, and I'm led to believe this person went on to become a regular user on jtan where he relished in causing similar havoc.

To summarise, at the present time we have sufficient people in place to moderate this forum (which is pretty small in real terms), plus I already have a waiting list of long-standing Club Members who have already offered to help previously. However, I can put you on my list and notify you in the future should an opportunity arise.

Regards - Graham

HI Graham

No surprise as to the content of your most appreciated quick response to my query. However I was taken back by the comment how the moderators work as a unison to respond to perceived breaches of the rules of conduct on THIS forum. For the Canadian moderator to deride me on this forum in a vicious an ungentlemanly way pointing to my character as low life in a rant of unkind descriptive words ,THAT hurt.

Regards MAX

G

Graham Smith

HI Graham

No surprise as to the content of your most appreciated quick response to my query. However I was taken back by the comment how the moderators work as a unison to respond to perceived breaches of the rules of conduct on THIS forum. For the Canadian moderator to deride me on this forum in a vicious an ungentlemanly way pointing to my character as low life in a rant of unkind descriptive words ,THAT hurt.

Regards MAX

Without consulting the rest of the moderators, I'm sure I can say we've come to the end of this thread, and subsequently, it's now closed.

Perhaps we can all now talk about Vincent Motorcycles etc.

Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.