Forum Prefixes

G

Graham Smith

At yesterday's North Kent Section All Fools Meet, someone was asking me what the 'prefixes' on certain forum categories did.

I explained it to them, but thought some others might appreciate a little guidance too.

On some of our forum categories, we have 'prefixes' which help to narrow down topic information.

When you submit a new 'thread', let's say in Technical Advice, you're asked for which category the topic the query refers. If we didn't have a prefix system, with over 3,500 separate threads (topics) they could easily get jumbled up if we weren't very careful with the thread titles.

Let me explain…

On the home page, click on 'Forums' which will take you to the page where all the forum categories are shown.
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 09.17.13.jpg

Once there, choose Technical Advice for the Post-War machines…
Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 09.17.24.jpg

Once in Technical Advice , you can see all the threads for this category, but as I say, without the prefixes, things could really start getting messy.
On this example you can see 'Misc: Ignition' 'PT: Exhaust' 'E: Engine' They're all colour coded, but the colours don't really mean too much.
Let's say we want to see all the threads that related to Exhausts, simply click on the 'PT: Exhaust' prefix…

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 09.17.35.jpg

Once you've clicked on the 'PT: Exhaust' prefix, the software will automatically filter out all the non relevant stuff, and just leave you with all the threads that related to Exhausts. As I say, if we didn't have this facility, things could get very messy, and very quickly!

Screenshot 2021-06-07 at 09.17.44.jpg

We also set up prefixes for the auctions category, so you can filter between 'machines' 'parts' and 'memorabilia'. I think I also set up some other prefixes for other categories, but I can't remember which off the top of my head.

As always, if anyone has any other queries, then please do shout.