Forum Maintenance

G

Graham Smith

We're shortly going to be moving the forum to a new server (but remaining with the same provider) which will give us increased storage space and bandwidth allowance.

For the time being, the photos part of the forum has been disabled, as well as the 'downloads' section.

Ultimately, the forum is going to be unavailable for a couple of days once I'm ready to do the actual move, but I will give you plenty of warning.

Regards

Graham

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks Graham
You do a grand job
However whatever upgrades you do, I don't expect it will speed up the copper bound rural electronic poor like me with only 1Mb to play with.
What really gets me is when I have to sit through all those adverts about 20MB lines and watching films on line. I sit and hope they leave off the disclaimer then I shall be onto the advertising authority (they did once - it was great fun).
At least when BT rings me (about twice a month) about switching to their wonderful system I can express myself....

G

Graham Smith

I may be in a position to start moving servers sometime over this weekend, so there may be some disruption to service.

I will keep you informed.

G

Graham Smith

Some of you may have noticed many errors when logging onto the forum over the last couple of days.

Well, this is where we are...

The server move went incredibly well and we didn't encounter any unexpected errors.

However, when it came to upgrading the actual software, that's when our problems started, and I ended up having to restore the database from a backup that was a few hours older than I would have liked.

Therefore, some posts which were made after the backup was taken will no longer appear on this forum (sorry about that).

You will also have noticed much of the forum functionality has gone, but this will hopefully start to reappear in the next few days once I get a chance to look at things properly.

Sorry for inconvenience, but I think we're getting somewhere now.

Graham

G

Graham Smith

Thinks are still pretty 'ropey' on the forum as we speak.

Fortunately, I've got plenty of database back-ups, so we won't lose any of the threads or posts.

For the time being, we're just operating with limited functionality.

Graham

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Upgrades

I can access the forum OK but I have had a couple of phone calls and e-mails from people who cannot. Some have attributed this to the overall decline in the VOC but they are people who do not understand the massive increase in traffic on this site. As a Mac user I attribute this more to poor understanding but it could be due to personal settings and for that there is no general panacea. I know you are doing a massive job here as well as getting MPH out. Which reminds me; 4th of the month and no MPH in NSW!!!

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Alyn
It is all a matter of bookmarks. I also thought that the forum was off line because my bookmark was to the home page, which has been having problems. Those of you who have bookmarked the 'whats new' page have been able to access the forum normally. Graham has now installed a temporary home page so everyone should be back in action.

Well done Graham, keep up the good work