Forum Downtime

G

Graham Smith

Regular visitors to the forum will have noticed that there was no access yesterday (Tuesday 20th May).

Our host had a problem with air conditioning at their server facility, and had to shutdown all their servers to prevent damage.

When the air conditioning was repaired, they tried to re-start all the servers (lots of them), however, they had problems with a few (ours being one of them). Every time they rebooted it, there were reported errors.

Our server was the last server to be fixed and it eventually came back on-line this morning at 0130hrs MDT.

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It appears they have re-booted with an earlier "save"??

Graham,

The re-boot appears to have dropped some forum information - for instance when I signed in this morning the Lordluca thread came up as new dated 17/05/08 yet I know there have been three replies to it which appear to have "gone missing".

I haven't looked for any other missing or corrupted information though.

Cheers

Stuart

G

Graham Smith

Yes, you're right - we've been restored from a back up on 17th May.

Our server is backed up on a rolling 5-day sequence.

Subsequently, we've lost a few bits!

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Sod's law.....

And of course everything I have written on the Forum since the 17th is of Tolkein quality............

Even Lord Luca liked my reply so much he started a new thread - he'll have to do it all over again now......

Cheers

S

Yes, you're right - we've been restored from a back up on 17th May.

Our server is backed up on a rolling 5-day sequence.

Subsequently, we've lost a few bits!

G

Graham Smith

This is what our host had to say...

On Monday, May 19th at approximately 8:50 p.m. MDT, utility power to our comms room was lost. Our emergency power systems were activated but the cooling systems at the Data Center would not reset, so the cooling was not functional. After waiting for the problem to resolve, we had no choice but to do an emergency power down of your server due to the rising heat and to avoid further server damage. By 9:45 p.m., the cooling systems were functional, so we started getting servers back online. However, the server your account is on did not come back up cleanly. It suffered from heat stressed equipment. Replacement equipment was implemented, data was restored from backups taken on the night of May 18th, then the server was repaired. The system was then back up at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Tuesday, May 20th. Our most important objective was to get your site back up and working as quickly as possible, which has been completed.

Last edited by a moderator:

pifinch

Non-VOC Member
New Thread

Hiya Graham, I have just spent an hour looking for 'New Thread' icon, but my computer does not appear to have one! I'm sure I have started a thread in the past, but maybe I have used my quota,could it be that I should take up HMGs Altzheimers test. Please nudge me in the right direction! - I have looked through every link on the toolbars twice but still can not find 'New Thread', can I buy one in Woolworths?

G

Graham Smith

New Server

As you are probably aware, we recently had to restore the server which hosts our forum from backups (resulting in the loss of a couple of days data).

The final step in this process is to move the restored server back into the production server's cabinet.

We will accomplish this maintenance on 7th June 2008, at 0530hrs (BST). This maintenance will result in no more than 20 minutes of downtime.

Sorry for any inconvenience.