Forum Changing

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
excuse me for saying:
but sometimes getting on the forum or trying to upload fotos looks a little bit hard to do, I would say go for a stable and sound website, and keep up the good work guys
Vincent brake speed

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
You are right Trev. Another reason that I just keep riding my Norvin, leave it alone and only fix whats broken.

Phelps.

Black Flash

VOC Member
as said before buy a mac, I have it a couple of years now and NEVER had any complaints, what a difference to the b....y Microsoft stuff at work !

G

Graham Smith

I've used Macs since the late 1980s, and subsequently have not had much to do with Microsoft-based PCs.

On the odd occasion I have to do something on a PC, I'm amazed at
a. How bad an experience it can be; and
b. How blatantly Microsoft rip-off the the Mac interface, but never quite get it right!

On the down-side, Macs cost an awful lot more than a PC - sometimes three times the price. However, from a personal point of view, I'm happy to pay this excess, knowing that I won't suffer from many of the problems that PC users have. (ie Macs NEVER crash these days. I personally never turn my Mac off - I don't think I've actually switched it completely off this year, or ever re-booted it!).

Graham (aka Steve Jobs!)

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Graham,
As an ex Mac user, fourty lashes to that man, I loathe my pc and wish I'd stuck with the Mac. However, being of simple mind and relying on friends to bail me out I soon was tempted away to Gates Land, but, yesterday I had a play with an IPad---- Oooh, tempting. Another reason for giving up the Mac was the inability to buy a printer compatible with my G4 running system 9.
Ah Well, one can only dream. ET43

timetraveller

VOC Member
Before you all rush out to buy Macs read the following tale of woe. I have a friend who is a free lance editor and having used Macs for years he bought the latest, greatest, state of the art Mac about five years ago. It had eight, yes count them, eight gigabytes of RAM, a 24" screen, the latest operating system (X I think) and a liquid cooled CPU. He bought it directly from Apple in Ireland and paid extra for five years of cover. From the very start it did not work. Upon switch on the cooling fans would come on and then slowly over a period of perhaps 10 minutes ratchet up their speed until the thing sounded like a helicopter taking off complete with vibration. It took 6 months to get this sorted out during which time it was not usable. About five months ago this sacred machine became an ex-machine and failed to function at all. At this stage it was about one month outside the 5 year extended warranty. Having paid for the local Mac expert to take it away and inspect the wreck it turns out that the liquid cooling has leaked all over the mother board. Checking on various blogs he discovered that this is a known fault and he has communicated continuously to no avail with Apple in Ireland for months until he started copying the emails to Steve Jobs! Having had five months of total hastle it was finally agreed that Apple in Ireland would arrange to collect the wreck and hopefully next week it will be replaced. As, fortunately, a spectator to all this I have seldom seen such rotten service and I would not touch Apple with somebody else's barge pole. By the way, did I mention that the machine cost £5k five years ago? Having had to take my seven year old PC to the local PC doctor twice in the last three weeks I am well aware of some of their frailties but for most of us it is a 'no brainer' to use PCs.

G

Graham Smith

Most unusual, as Apple are normally good with their customer service - well, that's my experience anyway.

Anyone can take any Mac to any Apple Store and they'll sort it out for you (as long as it's software related).

If there's a hardware fault, you're obviously going to pay for it to be fixed (if it's outside the warranty period).

One of my old Macs developed a fault with the sound card just one month out of warranty. Without me even kicking up a fuss, they replaced the whole motherboard (as the sound card was part of it) as a gesture of goodwill. Needless to say, I was delighted!

Finally, don't forget that Apple Stores will look at any Mac, regardless of where it was purchased for FREE. All you have to do is go online and book a session with one of their tekkie people.

I guess that's what you pay the extra for!

Alan J

VOC Member
Oh dear, Graham! I only made a joke and look where it leads! My dear wife [and I] are "apple" fans and will not hear a word against them!

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
Hi Graham
Dont you mean Tuesday 15th?
or is this an advance notice for 2011?

Hope to see you at the annual with Taylor.

best regards Peter

Albervin

VOC Member
Before you all rush out to buy Macs read the following tale of woe. I have a friend who is a free lance editor and having used Macs for years he bought the latest, greatest, state of the art Mac about five years ago. It had eight, yes count them, eight gigabytes of RAM, a 24" screen, the latest operating system (X I think) and a liquid cooled CPU. He bought it directly from Apple in Ireland and paid extra for five years of cover. From the very start it did not work. Upon switch on the cooling fans would come on and then slowly over a period of perhaps 10 minutes ratchet up their speed until the thing sounded like a helicopter taking off complete with vibration. It took 6 months to get this sorted out during which time it was not usable. About five months ago this sacred machine became an ex-machine and failed to function at all. At this stage it was about one month outside the 5 year extended warranty. Having paid for the local Mac expert to take it away and inspect the wreck it turns out that the liquid cooling has leaked all over the mother board. Checking on various blogs he discovered that this is a known fault and he has communicated continuously to no avail with Apple in Ireland for months until he started copying the emails to Steve Jobs! Having had five months of total hastle it was finally agreed that Apple in Ireland would arrange to collect the wreck and hopefully next week it will be replaced. As, fortunately, a spectator to all this I have seldom seen such rotten service and I would not touch Apple with somebody else's barge pole. By the way, did I mention that the machine cost £5k five years ago? Having had to take my seven year old PC to the local PC doctor twice in the last three weeks I am well aware of some of their frailties but for most of us it is a 'no brainer' to use PCs.
I only have 4 Gb of RAM & a 1 Tb hard drive! I used to have a 500 Gb hard drive but it chucked a hissy fit after 2 years & decided to kick in only intermittently. Fortunately I have a remote hard drive that is backed up. The "Apple" hard drive was actually a Western Digital unit. When things go wrong with Macs it is often a non Mac item that lets you down i.e. hardware. Very rarely is it software, unlike PCs & MicroSoft.
Another point to remember is that these are not Vincents and have a very limited life span ; they cannot be fixed with any tools kept in the average shed & have very little (if any) character or personality!:eek: