fork spindles/ FF18

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
just curious how far the fork spindles should protrude from the FF18 circlip retainers?
I have a couple different types here and want to know which are 'correct' and which are not
thanks folks

nkt267

VOC Member
One problem that can arise is that the circlip does not enter the retaining collar properly, that might be why the spindle seems overlong.
On my spindles you cannot see the circlip as the circlip abuts the step in the collar. I worry that the spindles have been fitted correctly when I can see the circlip on some bikes. John

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
thanks folks, the issue I have is I have some terry prince ones where he machines the circlip groove further along the shaft towards the forks and has a collar inside the circlip retainer so the circlip is well out of sight, i also have some made out of solid stailess one peice and the protrusion out of the "circlip retainer" is markedly different so was wondering whether terry's onesw were a differnt profile to standard. I have since seen a good vinnie today and satisfied that terry's ones ahave the correct profile. for interest his come drilled and have a grease nipple to lubricate easily and of course are of the usual high standard all his parts are...

deejay499

VOC Member
With the standard set up, it is always worth tapping the circlip, using a small screwdriver, to ensure that they are home in the groove if in any doubt. Close inspection is usually all that is needed.
Cheers, DJ

jellywrestler

Non-VOC Member
I am well familiar with the mechanically correct method of assembly, what I am asking is how long is the peice of the spindle that sticks out of the circlip retainer????