• Welcome to the website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Hon. Editor and Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this website before, please CLICK HERE.

For anyone awake - Biker Build Off - Discovery Real Time

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
No sky & too busy keeping my mike going.

The chopperised Vincent in the MPH a year or so ago looked great, it's nice to see a bit of variation as keeping them bog standard they are not safe to ride and mine is my only transport unless my wife takes me in her car.

If anyone has a copy of this I will cover costs for a tape to be sent to me as a lot of our parts went into this project and I would love to see the outcome.

Regards,
Russ

BlackLightning998

Well Known and Active Website User
VOC Member
It looks stunning Russ

He just had it on the Salt Flats - did 97 and a bit mph and then got a high speed wobble and backed off - the bike is running the original girdraulics mounted on a longer rake. The bike looks simply stunning, you should be well proud Russ.

I'll have a look and see if it is being repeated - I've never tried recording SKY onto a video but I will give it a go if I can find it re-run, these things are often repeated every 24 hrs on SKY.

The guy looked a bit of a Vincent fan, t-shirt, leathers, helmet all badged Vincent and HRD.

Great programme - I switched on just by luck.

Cheers

Stuart

Graham Smith

VOC Hon. Editor
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Be careful if you order a DVD from the Discovery Channel in the US and you live in the UK.

When it arrives, it'll probably be a Region 1 disc, and more than likely won't play in your machine over this side of the pond (unless you have a multi-region player of course!).

tonythecat

Non-VOC Member
You are right there Graham, I had one hell of a job to get an European copy of "Debbie does Dallas", purely for research of course.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Not safe to ride

Four Vincents have pulled over 150 mph over the salt with standard "not safe to ride" geometry, one over 160 mph, and this "improved" one gets to 97 mph before a wobble stops it. Does that tell you anything?
Cosmetically, however, it is a beauty. Not my thing, but a beauty.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Be careful if you order a DVD from the Discovery Channel in the US and you live in the UK.

When it arrives, it'll probably be a Region 1 disc, and more than likely won't play in your machine over this side of the pond (unless you have a multi-region player of course!).

You can play any region on your computer.

nkt267

VOC Member
But look at the angle of the headstock Tom,the bike was in a speed wobble before it got to a ton.Girdraulics weren't made for that angle of attack.The bike is beautifully finished and he covered most of the front in clingfilm.The other bike in the rideoff didn't bother with salt protection and I personally think he had the desire to make it shift..Don't forget also that people like Rollie Free are special.John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Rollie Free and tank-slappers

Bear in mind this started because of the assertion that Vincents in standard trim were too dangerous to ride, and that Rollie Free himself might have been a factor in avoiding wobbles, on his dangerous Vincent, at 150 mph. I disagree with both assertions. Here's why.
I'm second to none in my admiration of Rollie Free, but the stability didn't come from his "skill and judgement" but from the steering geometry of the bike he was riding: Lightning "chassis" modification amounted to fitting rear-set footrests to a standard Rapide/Shadow/Comet frame.
I've experienced four "speed wobbles" (none on Vincents), three of which were all-out tank slappers. I can do no better than quote a friend: "Anyone who thinks he might control a tank-slapper has never had one. He'll have about as much control as a rat does in the mouth of a terrier." That describes exactly my experience.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Rollie Free and tank-slappers

From my experience of a tank-slapper on my Rapide, I fully agree with the quote made by Tom's friend.

Latest Forum Posts

Latest Forum Threads

Can't Find What You Need?

Buyer Beware: Fake or Real?

The Mighty Garage Videos

List of Forum Categories