footrest spacers

redbloke1956

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi all, As I mentioned in a previous post I have just purchased a '51 Comet, the bike appears to be just about complete (if not original) have found a few parts missing (so far)and have ordered those, I do however have one question to start with:
If I tighten up the nuts holding the footrest hangers on to the footrest spacers, the inside end of the shaft that the left hand foot rest rubber is mounted on makes contact with the clutch/primary chain housing. The left hand foot rest spacer (with the tapered end) is stainless and obviously not original so....to the question, I noticed in the spares list that the LH and RH spacers are different numbers so I assume they are different, can anyone tell me the overall length of the LH spacer? (I think mine is too short?)

Regards
Kevin

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi all, As I mentioned in a previous post I have just purchased a '51 Comet, the bike appears to be just about complete (if not original) have found a few parts missing (so far)and have ordered those, I do however have one question to start with:
If I tighten up the nuts holding the footrest hangers on to the footrest spacers, the inside end of the shaft that the left hand foot rest rubber is mounted on makes contact with the clutch/primary chain housing. The left hand foot rest spacer (with the tapered end) is stainless and obviously not original so....to the question, I noticed in the spares list that the LH and RH spacers are different numbers so I assume they are different, can anyone tell me the overall length of the LH spacer? (I think mine is too short?)

Regards
Kevin

The Comet uses the same short spacer for both sides. Try swapping the spacers around. They do seem to vary slightly in length. I suppose the condition of the taper must also effect the clearance. Only the twins have a long spacer on clutch side. It is possible that your left hanger has been bent inwards (Crash Damage?) at some time. This is not always obvious unless you have an undamaged one to compare it with. Often if the Comet is dropped hard to the left the brake pedal retaining nut punches a hole in, or at least cracks, the clutch inspection cover. The spares company sells thin or thick spacer/washers (Hanger Accommodation Washer FT 201 and FT201/1) that fit inboard of the of the tapered spacers to give a little more clearance.

Last edited:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Hugo, that is the sort of guidance that I need and I suppose it will only come with time, I am awaiting books etc on the Vincent but so far am relying on the portions of parts manuals that I find on VOC. I was under the impression that all of the cycle parts for vincents (of similar age) were identical, therefore when I looked at these portions of parts manuals (most of which do not directly mention Comets) I assumed the twin footrests etc were the sme as the comet.
Before I purchased this Comet I was informed that it had a gearbox problem so when a Comet box appeared on Fleabay I purchased it only to find that not all parts of the two gearboxes are interchangeable.
On close inspection I found that the frame lug that the LH spacer butts up to has been repaired at sometime, confirming what you have said. I will look at either manufacturing a longer spacer for the LH side (possibly less noticeable than washers) or buying some of the washers you mention.
One other question, could you tell me the distance between your brake pedal retaining nut and the clutch inspection cover please, so I have a standard to aim for .

Thanks very much again Hugo.
Kevin Dennis

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Kevin,

I am no engineer but just have 40 years experience with Comets. I am sure there are much more knowledgeable folks on the forum who will help you. I am away from home for the weekend so cannot measure the clearance between brake nut and clutch cover but I will check it on Monday but it must be 1/2" at least. You could turn down a twin left hand distance piece to your specific measurement although I believe machining tapers takes some skill. Unfortunately the twin left hand distance piece has a flat machined on the side of the inboard face. It would be hardly noticeable or you could drill another blind hole for the peg and position the flat out of sight at the bottom. Ref. your spare gearbox, you do not say how it differs. I am probably going to be shot down in flames again but I thought that all Burman BAP type gearboxes had more or less the same internals. It is the inner large casting that is specific to the Comet in that it pivots from the top for primary chain adjustment.

Hugo

Last edited:

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I had the same problem. Replaced the taper alloy spacer and it restored about 10mm space between the nut on the inside of the footrest/brake lever and the casing. On examination, it takes very little wear on the taper to loose this distance. I think mine was over enthusiastically polished.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Thanks Youngjohn,
My spacer has been replaced at some time with a stainless steel one and I think the machining of the taper was inaccurate, I think I will try a new tapered spacer first, as you have done and then see where I go from there.
Kevin

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Kevin,

I was a bit optimistic. The actual clearance between the brake pedal nut and the clutch inspection plate on my Comet measures 3/8" but this is with a thin hanger accomodation washer fitted. I have measured four different Comet hanger spacers and they varied in length from one at 3", two at 3 1/16" and one ( a new one from the spares co.) at 3 1/8". The length of the taper varies from 5/8" to 3/4" (The straight length not the length of the incline.) Putting a foot rest hanger, of unknown history, on a level surface with the inboard end of the tapered hole face down (i.e. the inside top end) the inside face of the bottom of the hanger, minus footpeg and brake gubbins, measures 2 3/4" above the level surface.

Hugo

nkt267

VOC Member
When I made my footrest spacers for the Comet I made the taper first and left the inboard flange extra thick and just machined the flange till I got a reasonable spacing from the chaincase, about 3/8" to 1/2" as mentioned by Hugo and Youngjohn..John