Footman James

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi,

My bike insurance is due and I got a reminder and quote from Footman James. The premium had gone up about 25 %. I called them a week ago because the policy has unlimited mileage, european cover etc etc. I don't need these so I asked about limited mileage but was told these are included as standard.
I noticed their ad in MPH 752 which says agreed value, limited mileage and multi vehicle options are available so I called again today and was told that if I opted for limited mileage, I would lose the VOC discount and the insurance would be more that the current quote.

Seems odd, anyone else had this experience

Mac

G

Graham Smith

Hi,

My bike insurance is due and I got a reminder and quote from Footman James. The premium had gone up about 25 %. I called them a week ago because the policy has unlimited mileage, european cover etc etc. I don't need these so I asked about limited mileage but was told these are included as standard.
I noticed their ad in MPH 752 which says agreed value, limited mileage and multi vehicle options are available so I called again today and was told that if I opted for limited mileage, I would lose the VOC discount and the insurance would be more that the current quote.

Seems odd, anyone else had this experience

Mac

It would be interesting to hear Arthur Farrow's view on it when he gets back from the International.

Last edited by a moderator:

b'knighted

VOC Member
I'd been with Carol Nash since it was run by Carol herself. I think this was just after Bernard Knope stopped doing our insurance.
I misplaced this years renewal papers and rang to check. The figure quoted was horrendous, and when I questioned the huge increase the person on the phone hastily backpedalled and said that they were holding the increase for existing customers to 10%.
They had already declined to quote on an obsolete three wheeler which Peter James was happy to insure. When I went to Peter James they couldn't quite match the lower Carol Nash quote but were happy to add a 90's bike for £15 and the obsolete three wheeler. The total came to about the same total as the Carol Nash renewal plus the Peter James tricycle quote. That makes it something like a seventeen wheeler policy.
Several other section members have reinsured with Peter James and I have, so far, heard no complaints or criticisms of them.

The only problem I foresee is finding someone to confirm bike values as I do the others in the section. Perhaps that old geezer I know in Downton would do mine for me.

Cheers,

len.c

Non-VOC Member
I think I may have missed something here,we were encouraged to believe by the so called government that uninsured drivers were costing each insured driver / rider an extra £30 pounds per year ,so on this premise the insurance companies and the goverment introduced continuous insurance,imagine my dissapointment when my premium with F/J had increased by a similar amount , I firmly believe you must shop around for quotes ,there is nothing to lose and maybe something to be gained ,but don't hold your breath. len.c

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
I'm just renewing my Comet insurance.

Carol Nash £167.70
FJ £130.20

Both quotes Fully Comp

Neil

And if you choose to pay F/J by direct debit card it will cost you £1.50 another rip off, when you consider that as soon as you give them the numbers it is taken from your account. instant payment.
next years payment will be made by cheque.

Is this cost added by Carol Nash.

Peter

Old Bill

Non-VOC Member
Try Lynbrook Insurance 08451304662, agreed value, multi classic bike, buy back or repair it yourself option in event of major damage and no admin charge for adding or removing bikes on policy unlike fj or cn. All the usual bits like breakdown cover etc and cheaper than the others as well. And they agreed the machines values within a fortnight unlike fj who took months to agree. Hope this helps

jim burgess

VOC Member
I would like to thank you for all this useful info. I have just renewed with FJ but will give the others a look in future. I am not happy with FJ as the only correspondence they action is that related to renewals. All other questions go unanswered. I still cannot understand how they come to an agreed value as aposed to market value. The agreed value for my three bikes has just doubled my premium, the only other option "market value" would have left my premiums unaltered but I think would have given me a greater machine value. FJ will not talk to me about how they do their maths. It strikes me that somthing this club could usefully do for the membership is establish an insurance scheme... I understand Arthur Farrow (whom I have not met) is an expert in the field? Yes I can see all sorts of problems in this area, but I suspect theft of our bikes is rare, the real liability would be in injury and death claims, but the rewards for us as a club and in supporting the VOCS could be great. There must be away, there must....

Jim Burgess

raygray

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Footman James in creased my renewal quote by £100 when I increased agrred valuation by £7000.
After several other company quotes they nocked £80 of then asked if I was one make club member (I thought they already knew this )
They came back with a premium £90 cheaper than last year.
Now all signed up and not sure how this works.
All I have done is quired the premium and increased the value.

Alan J

VOC Member
I've swapped around-it seems after about 3 years they all try to double your premiums-they only problem here is when you get to 70 [not long to go!] it does appear to be best to stick to one insurer.