G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Folding Comet Kickstart Lever

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I currently have fitted to my C/D Comet what I believe to be a genuine Burman folding kickstart lever, I have no idea whether these were fitted originally, but I believe they were not, the only problem that I experience is that when the bike is being ridden the lever always falls out to the projecting position, it would be good if I could fit a spring retaining system, either a leaf spring as the twin kickstart or a ball bearing and coil bit like the friction damper knobs and the steering damper knob, I have looked at the Indian Spares ones, but find the cost a bit eye watering, has anyone come across this problem and successfully cured it.

erik

VOC Member
the spring has not enough Tension.you should dismount the outer cover and give the kickstart Lever one more turn so that the spring is stronger.it is a very Long spring and this should be no Problem.and the costs are nothing.regards erik

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Erik, I do not think that I have made myself clear, the problem that I have is the Kickstart foot piece rotates 90 degrees from the kickstart lever, when not in use I want the foot piece to fold in parallel with the bike and to stay in that position, not to fold itself outwards at 90 degrees to the bike.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Peter, I drilled a small hole and fitted a spring and ball and made a small dent in the lever.
On another I just used a washer, So that it just nipped, And a bit of Loctite on the nut,
The second one I liked more. Cheers Bill.

vibrac

VOC Member
Nipping with a washer is the easy way its what I did before I got this one

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
No need for any of those bodges. The fix (actually the correct assembly) as per the original is a sturdy flat washers with the correct wave washer between them. I purchased my wave washer from the Spares Co. a while back but any spring maker should be able to supply. Works a dream with my Burman kickstarter - oh the only 'modern' item is a nyloc nut that ensures the arrangement holds in place.

The wave washer goes UNDER the pivoting foot piece, the flat washer and the nyloc on top. See photos
20190326_095704.jpg 20190326_095649.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Thanks for the tip Martyn, just have to wait for the Club to restock the wave washer or ferret around other suppliers.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Some lawnmowers with 3/8" diameter blade bolts use wave washers as an anti-rattle stratagem. They are usually too large on the o.d., but a little gentle grinding while dipping in water to preserve temper will furnish you an adequate substitute. Cheap, too!

Last edited by a moderator:

oexing

VOC Member
Did you look into Ebay ? There are lots of them, stainless or not. Whenever I need anything I routinely look into Ebay, lazy bugger. But maximum choice there.

Vic

link to wave washers :
Wave washers

erik

VOC Member
I think what Bill describes is the most aesthetic Arrangement.this System is used on my Fastback as well.works good since decades.on my comet i have the mike breeding kickstart from new mexico.works excellent, Looks excellent and costs excellent.regards Erik