Flywheel alignment

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yikes.... didn’t need the dial gauge to see the runout. Just watch the flywheel as he turns it. I wouldn’t trust my lathe to do that without verifying/grinding the centres on the crank, then toss my clapped out 3 jaw and use a 4 jaw or collet to hold a live centre. The other problem I would have is when I align the lathe centres like that (centre to centre), by the time they are far enough apart to fit the crank in, they are no longer anywhere near closely aligned enough for crank work, due to the wear etc in the lathe bed. I could adjust that out, but wonder if he did. I was slightly stunned by the amount he got the flywheel to move with that little love tap. When I did the Comet with a new pin, the crank was mounted in a holder on the bench. Then I stood on the bench and used something similar to a golf swing. I made up some bars with small roller bearings to hold the crank while measuring runout. Would have preferred knife edge rollers, but don’t plan on making a career out of it. His pin is lose enough that I wonder if he can get the cases back together without the flywheels moving.
Full disclosure..I am certainly no expert on this subject.
Cue the knife edge roller versus lathe centre debate.
I’ll abstain, because I think both work if done properly. #Switzerland

Here is a more manly way of doing the beating part.

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I am not clever with this sort of thing, But I didn't think it would make any difference if the centres were out of alignment, As long as you don't turn the chuck ?,
I was playing with just one flywheel, On my wood lathe, To see if it would work, Getting ready to do my 560,
Don't think I will be able to get to a few thou, So I might have to settle with a 500, But we will see.
His did shift easy ! !, But I liked the alloy plates on a chisel.
There is a H.D. youtube, With the bloke hitting the wheels, While it is still in centres !!, With the clocks still touching !.

vibrac

VOC Member
I once had a set of comet flywheels that were within 2 thou
So what you say?
I got them out of an engine from a scrap yard for £15!

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
He also told me that once they have been together and then apart, The wheels will be too stretched,
He forgot he had built mine, Rang me to collect, Then He took them apart again because he wasn't happy with them !!.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
The fellow in the first video made a good job of describing the problems. His crank moved far too easily for my liking. The second one was dealing with a pressed-up crank (like a picador), or a stink wheel. They can, and should , be a blighter to get to move! I guess I'm lucky as I have acess to the alpha -tru with tapered rollers and two clock guages. If I tell how little my twin crank runs out you will think I'm bragging.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
My L/ning was smooth as silk, At first !, But after a good Blast, It shook a bit, Not too much.
I would think that after a backfire, That Enfield Crank, Might shift a bit ?, But it's only a trail Bike.