"Flying" Rapide Photo

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dont get the idea that everything transport wise has improved since then. After all you could fly your bike to the continent in the fiftys from Kent, and any decent train would take your motorcycle in the guards van. I took my G3LS Matchless to IOM like that (Aylesbury Bucks to Douglas IOM 11 miles on the speedo) after my Vincent clutch played up 5 miles into my trip with the ferry booked and time running short. And you did not have to ride to Holland back then to find a moto rail to Italy.
If there is one thing sillier than the HS2 (I doubt there is) its a channel tunnel train full of cars and bikes that stops as soon as it gets to France

vibrac

VOC Member
lydd1.jpg
even young Ray Elgar got to use it see full detail www.vmccsprint.co.uk

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I remember my ratty old Ariel Huntmaster being loaded like that - the middle one of 3 and the others were brand new BMWs. As it left the ground the centre stand flipped up and I had to run (yes I could run then) onto the ferry to catch it before it played dominos with the BMs. Mind you I think that was preferable to walking (sorry riding) the plank to get on the ferry at Liverpool. :p

H
On my first trip to Mona's Isle we got the outfit loaded at Liverpool OK. We leant on the deck rail watching the others come aboard. The ramp was very steep and two lads on a sprung hub Triumph got halfway up when it burnt it's clutch out. Only quick action by IOMSP crew saved them from a ducking in the Mersey. The smell of burnt friction material lingered in my nostrils for some time afterwards.