Floods and disaster

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
To all my friends in Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands and Austria. I hope you and your families are safe from the devastation I have seen in the last few days. When Angela Merkel said there were no German words to describe what she has seen then it is truly catastrophic ! Now I see the rains are in the Berchtesgarden area and Saltzburg! After the last International rally many of us had been in awe of the landscape and the little villages in the area. Like our fires of last year these calamities take years for people to recover and many people do not have the will to "rise again".
If you are OK or not then reach out and ask for help. Sadly I am too far away to give physical assistance but there are other ways to help.
This is not in any way a political post so any replies referring to climate change will be deleted.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Gping via Germany to the Great French Rally.

But it was OK.
This is not an political awnser.
But one can read it this way.
20210714_201855.jpg

oexing

VOC Member
That extreme flooding was only in very few places and is mostly a combination of very heavy rain and hilly or mountain areas when all water collects in "little" streams that swell in short time to produce enormous forces. In flatland you may get some flooding when rivers are overwhelmed. At least houses stay in their place and you get just loads of mud in low parts. Land slides are possibly more often seen in past years , climate changing can be the reason, would not bet on this . On centuries old houses you may find lines way up showing floods from these times so no modern phenomenon only .

Vic

clevtrev

VOC Member
That extreme flooding was only in very few places and is mostly a combination of very heavy rain and hilly or mountain areas when all water collects in "little" streams that swell in short time to produce enormous forces. In flatland you may get some flooding when rivers are overwhelmed. At least houses stay in their place and you get just loads of mud in low parts. Land slides are possibly more often seen in past years , climate changing can be the reason, would not bet on this . On centuries old houses you may find lines way up showing floods from these times so no modern phenomenon only .

Vic
Here you go.
flood levels.jpg

hrdaustria

VOC Member
hello alyn and all of our friends within the voc-family,
thanks for thinking about us and our region and sorry for my late replay - just to high workload. we´ve been lucky here, no flooding this year. still some regions badly hurt und unfortunately a lot of killed inhabitants in germany. jörg - living in bad reichenhall - is fine too.
so lets hope for the best and help in the worst cases.
michi