Float Level 276's

indianken

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
wld50,

I have had success with this Loctite product when other option weren't practical. Might be worth a try. The bolt torque specifications after repair are impressive.

http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/FORMSTRK-EN.PDF

Ken Smith

I've inherited a worn 276, in this case the throttle stop screw thread in the carburettor body is no longer viable. (I've read somewhere that the steel screw when unscrewed would have destroyed the thread in the alloy).

It seems worth trying to remake the right thread in the first place, I've been told by Hitchcocks that the thread is 1BA, (Can anyone confirm the thread/ size?) and Armacoil make 1BA helicoil inserts but only available in 50 packs, about a pound per piece.

Has anyone already invested/ wants to do the same and would like to share the pain ?

Alternatively, does anyone know a commercial organisation which offers a rethreading service for a 1BA thread into an alloy carburettor on a reasonably fast turn around?

As a temporary expedient I've used another, larger bolt, but it wobbles around, can't be good for the long term.

wld '50

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Loctite Form-a thread

wld50,

I have had success with this Loctite product when other option weren't practical. Might be worth a try. The bolt torque specifications after repair are impressive.

Ken Smith

Looks very useful in lots of places eg the mag cover as well

www.midwayuk.com/apps/eproductpage.exe/AddToCart?SaleItemID=986916&TabID=0&Quantity=1&x=37&y=9

From Midway seems to be £16.27 plus £8.85 for postage
wld'50

wld50

Non-VOC Member
Form-A Thread

wld50,

Ken Smith
Midway are the only people I could find who stock it in the UK, they were reasonably fast in supply - it took a week - even though they told me it had to come in from the USA.

Loctite's blurb says the material is good to 148 C and is recommended for manifold studs, clamp bolts, drain plugs, pan fasteners (whatever they are?) and valve cover bolts. Resists most solvents and oil including gasoline (possibly an alternative word for petrol). Hardens in about 5 minutes and max strength achieved in 2 hours. Loctite make the point that it isn't to be used on critical threads though such as internal engine parts -

The way it works is that you coat the bolt with release agent, mix the 2 part acrylate material (a bit like like araldite) from two syringes, fill the hole with the mix and feed in the screw. Unscrew it after '5-10 minutes' when the material has gone semi-hard and then leave it to cure.

I first tried it out on a partly stripped thread in the magneto cover. After a couple of failures to produce the desired thread (too slow in removing the bolt the first time so that when I used a ring spanner to unscrew the bolt some of the threadlock material came out with it, the second time too much 'Release agent' on the body of the screw which prevented the thread forming around that area), the third time was fine and I started feeling happy enough to try it on the carburettor, - it seems to have worked.

Loctite make the point that it isnt to be used on critical threads - I dont think the throttle stop bolt would be classed as such, as if the thread fails it would mean that the slide level would fall lower and affect the idling. (I'm happy to listen to advice as always though)

Many thanks Ken for the recommendation. Certainly it would be worth having on a long trip/ rally.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
pan fasteners (whatever they are?)

Pan fasteners are the machine screws that hold the oil pan to the bottom of the crankcase of typical car engines. Would the English term be sump bolts?

Oil Pan
30930_small.gif

:)