Flash Fork Blades

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Grateful for any views on whether Grey Flash type Girdraulic Fork Blades can be used on a road-going solo Twin - without the danger of skittish behaviour or worse still, fracture!

Peter

davidd

VOC Member
The answer I would stand by is "no" because the Factory never saw fit to mount Flash blades on a twin, and they did know what they were doing. The forks on my Flash have been raced hard, low sided and high sided with no ill effects. I would think that they could stand up to the extra weight. However, I would not modify a set of forks just for that purpose because the weight saved on a twin is somewhat laughable, even in terms of unsprug weight alone. If I had a set of blades that were lightened, I would use them. I would not mill out a set for essentially what amounts to cosmetic reasons. I have a friend who has a set that is milled on the outside. Now that is real hot rodding! I have another racer that I am building and I am not interested in milling out the blades. I thought that I would find a painter that is good with an airbrush and have him faux paint the millings. I am not sure that anyone would notice that it was only paint.

David

nobby

VOC Member
When I bought my Flash "replica" in 1993, the fork blades were milled only the lower part, inside. I have been told by experts that blades were prepared in different ways, and this way (pattern and depth) seems to be one of those. My blades are done by an (unknown) expert. I had the blades without paint a few years ago, and there was an absolute flat surface, needed no filler or other cosmetics.
I have used the bike solo as a racebike, and for a few races even with a sidecar mounted. Since 2002 it is used as a road bike, sometimes with a (light) sidecar. Now the engine is a 39bhp big bore and is used very frequently, sometimes two up. So in my opinion there is no problem when you mill the blades not too extravagant. I have no experience with milling the top part...

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Many years ago I bought a 'Comet' on behalf of a friend from Nick Sloane, arch Scott enthusiast and briefly a member of the VOC before the contrary philosophies became irreconcilable . This machine had a fully sprung seat, slimmed down like a Lightning on a subframe a la D with pillion rests attached to tubular loops. The fork blades were extensively milled both above and below the bottom yoke spindle. I was led to believe that all this was original. In those naive days I did not think to check engine and frame numbers nor would I have known what they signified. Unfortunately and with some regret I was duty bound to pass the machine on to my friend. I have no idea what became of it or my friend.

Last edited:

davidd

VOC Member
My experience has been that the original Flashes were all incredibly similar. There is no variation in the fork milling pattern or the holes that have been drilled in the frames. I have seen lots of variations in the replicas, particularly the ones that are not called replicas. Many of these have variations in their numbers also.

David

A_HRD

VOC Member
Thank you for all the responses to my query, particularly DavidD who advises against using "flashed" blades on a Twin. But I'm surprised no-one else had waded-in here with knowledge of using them on a Twin...(?). In the meantime, I'll get-on with building them up for the eventual restoration of my very tatty Comet.

Special thanks to Bernie the Black Flash who has offered to put me out of my misery and do a swap. I thought about it for a long time (about a micro-second) but feel unable to impose my dilemma on such a gallant gentleman.

Or perhaps I should mill the outside of the forks (as mentioned by DavidD) and fit them to my A and call it a 'Mallory Special' (in time for July) - like the alleged 'Cadwell Special' in its latest guise here... (Cabwell- sic).

http://www.hrdcomet.co.uk/cabwell 2005-1.htm

Peter

Black Flash

VOC Member
Quote:

"Special thanks to Bernie the Black Flash who has offered to put me out of my misery and do a swap. I thought about it for a long time (about a micro-second) but feel unable to impose my dilemma on such a gallant gentleman."

A very nice way to tell me: do your stuff yourself mate !

davidd

VOC Member
Peter,

Good point about all those twin owners with Flash blades! I think they made my point, but I agree there is not much reduction in stregth. Better to go with an aluminum steering head. Saves 3 plus pounds! The pictures are great inspiration.

Good luck,

David