C: Clutch Fitting "V2" clutch...

Paulx

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Many thanks timetraveller, good advice! - I don't have a compressor so I ordered an electric impact wrench, which arrived this morning. The nut I have been struggling to undo for a week spun off in (literally!) three seconds... Finally feel like I am making progress!

Paulx

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
As I suspected, there was a "distance piece" behind the clutch sprocket. I have chucked that in the bin and now the clutch barrel locates as it should and Its all gone back together very nicely thanks.... however I'm not absolutely sure that I have enough end-float between the inner and outer clutch baskets even without any shims fitted. There is a discernible gap that I would guess to be about 10-15 thou (can't get the feeler gauges in!) so I'm hoping that will do. How would one obtain more end-float? The securing nut is done up firmly, but not tightly - is it ok to leave this loosish but locked with the spring?

Next step is to make a new clutch push-rod - I've bought some 1/4 inch EN8 mild steel rod as I'm told this is best for home-hardening. Would people recommend a one piece or two piece push-rod? and, if two, should I put a ball-bearing (1/4 or 5/16th - both seem to fit in the tunnel?) or a 1/4 x 1/4 roller bearing between them? Many thanks for your patience - I'll get the hang of this eventually!

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
And if you have the facilities modify the outer plate to take a needle roller thrust race which should ensure that the plate lifts straight. I designed these for the Vincent twin clutch but with a small mod it will fit a Comet clutch. It might be possible to fit it to your clutch. The VOC Spares Company keeps them in stock. With this you do not need to divide the clutch push rod.