C: Clutch Fitting "V2" clutch...

Paulx

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Its the first time I have asked the forum for advice - so if I get the procedure wrong please bear with me. My Rapide (which I bought two years ago, is almost ready for the road and and was, I thought, going to be well used over the summer!) until recently had a AMC Norton clutch which dated from the late 50's, but it never really worked properly in that when ever it got hot it dragged so badly that it was really hard to change gear - and especially hard to find neutral. I spent hours and hours (and hours) trying to fix it, bought new plates, new springs, invested in the VOC "high lift" clutch arm and pivot bolt and changed the lever for a 1.1/16 pivot etc etc. Wen it was cold and in the garage it worked perfectly, but after a couple of miles it pretty much stopped working completely. So, I finally gave up on it and bought a spares company multi-plate conversion, carefully fitted it and looked forward to going for a ride - and the same bl**dy thing happened with the new clutch - after a couple of miles it just gave up the ghost. I have taken it apart and put it back together more times than I can count and can't find anything obviously wrong. Except that the barrel (the "bearing" that the outer clutch basket runs on) on the back of the clutch inner basket seems to be about 1/8th of an inch too long. It feels like it goes all the way onto the splines but now that I have got the primary cover off I can see that it doesn't - which seems to have the effect of giving me quite a lot more end-float than I need... My current choice are: 1) hit it with a big hammer and see if it will go on any further 2) grind 1/8th inch of the end of it, or 3) ask for help! Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Paul, I can't help you with the new clutch but the symptoms with the old one are typical, I, and many other people, used those clutches years ago and that was a regular problem with the plates expanding when they got hot and all the lift disappearing. You have titled this 'V2 clutch'. Are you sure? The V2s were made several years ago and superseded by the V3s. These are not happy run dry and are better with some lubrication in them. Some people run them in an oil bath while others just squirt some oil into them from time to time. It might pay you to ask the Spares Company what they supplied you and whether they have any additional advice. You should find them both helpful and knowledgeable.

vibrac

VOC Member
Check the dimension of the inner spline shaft of the central hub there were some made about 60 thou too long I thought they were all 'caught' measure that dimension and then speak to Bob I doubt that is a problem but worth tsaving time and phone calls

Oldhaven

VOC Member
This may or may not help. I tried just about everything and finally got good results, but it took it all.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Just a mention that my V2 clutch uses bronze Ducati friction plates and is ment to run dry. I think the V3 clutch is made by a different company.

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Just a mention that my V2 clutch uses bronze Ducati friction plates and is ment to run dry. I think the V3 clutch is made by a different company.

V2 is a company based in Perth Australia. V3 is a company based in Melbourne Australia owned by Neal Videan. The two outfits have no connection and are different clutches. If 'Paulx' bought his clutch from the VOCS then it is neither a V2 or V3.
This mix-up has been going round and round for years, maybe the VOCS should give their clutch a name?

Vince Farrell

Vince Farrell

VOC Member
Hi Paul, I can't help you with the new clutch but the symptoms with the old one are typical, I, and many other people, used those clutches years ago and that was a regular problem with the plates expanding when they got hot and all the lift disappearing. You have titled this 'V2 clutch'. Are you sure? The V2s were made several years ago and superseded by the V3s. These are not happy run dry and are better with some lubrication in them. Some people run them in an oil bath while others just squirt some oil into them from time to time. It might pay you to ask the Spares Company what they supplied you and whether they have any additional advice. You should find them both helpful and knowledgeable.

V3 clutches did not supersede the V2s, both types were sold at the same time for quite a while. V3 supply both dry and wet versions, they utilise different plates as well as well as some other components.

Vince Farrell

clevtrev

VOC Member
The answer is simply to have a bit more end float of the basket. What is actually happening is that because of too small end float, as the engine warms up the cases expand taking up that gap. An aluminium basket needs about .015" of slack when cold.
Having re-read the problem, try with the clutch off the bike and measure how much of the `bearing` pokes out of the basket. That will tell you if it`s too long or not. Next just bolt up the centre without the basket, and see if it goes tight against the spacer in the G2 plate.

Last edited:

Paulx

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Many thanks for the help and advice chaps! Its still "work in progress" and probably will be until I can get the clutch sprocket off... (slow progress is solely due to my mechanical incompetence!) as I think there is something behind it that shouldn't be there - possibly a "distance piece" put in by a previous owner to compensate for the shorter length of the barrel of the old Norton Clutch. Any tips for removing an impossibly tight ESA nut? ( I'm about to get my blowtorch out!) I'm finding this all a bit of a learning curve...

timetraveller

VOC Member
Do you have access to an air compressor? If so treat yourself to a cheap and cheerful pneumatic hammer device. I paid about £30 for mine from Lidl. You will also need a decent quality socket to fit the ESA nut and you will be amazed at just how easily it comes loose. No heat needed unless some previous owner has used Loctite on it in which case heat softens the Loctite.