fitting taper rollers to Brampton fork, advice needed

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have the Patzke conversion in hand and am about to disassemble the B front end. He sent very detailed instructions for the C steering head, and the kit is very well done and detailed, but there are quite a few differences in Brampton forks. Is this a straightforward fitment, ignoring things like the kit distance pieces for the Girdraulic's FF25 and the fact that there is no FF36 and just making the appropriate clearances, loctiting and reassembling. Before I get into trouble, can anyone who has done the conversion on a B give me a few tips and things to look for? Does it change the height of the FT210 relative to the bottom casting?

Ron

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Hi Bruce,

Yes, but so far no reply, though it was only recent, so I may get something back in the next day or two. Just a bit of "get all the information you can before tearing everything apart". I checked all the history references in the forum and FYO and ATY without any luck, and wanted to hear from someone who has done it.

Ron

davidd

VOC Member
Ron,

Jim Young did this to his Shadow and he did all the machining. If you do not have his number I can give it to you.

David

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Thanks David,

It would be nice to talk to him again anyway. I have your email and will send you mine again so you can reply with his number.

Ron

timetraveller

VOC Member
Before tackling a job like this I would carefully measure the centre to centre distance between the rear of the upper and lower spindles and their respective distances from some fixed point that will not be changed by the fitting of the new bearings. Remember that if this changes then so will the geometry of the wheel spindle movement.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Great advice, and just in time. For the record the rear to rear spindle center distance, for my B Rapide with standard cup and cone bearings, with the FT238 steering column nut snug is 8.68 inches. The distance to the tank mounting bolt center is 1.38 from the bottom spindle and 7.30 from the top one. (measured with a dial caliper)

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Not another one! Thank you Russell. I had an email from him in May and since have only communicated with his wife. I am very sorry to hear about this.

Ron