Fitting pannier topb box rack to a Vincent Rapide

frankauton

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have just got hold of a Vincent rack fro Craven panniers (still looking for the panniers)
I have some old bike pictures which seem to show the fitting OK. The assembly has bushes on the arms which bolt onto the rear frame handle to allow for movement with the suspension. My question is the - the two side bars which bolt onto the frame just below the front of the seat - should they be bolted down tight or are they meant to have bushes to allow for movement? Also the front seat bolt does not seem to have quite enough thread for these side bars to allow the nut to be fully on the bolt - are longer bolts available?
Thanks - Frank

norvin998

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just got hold of a Vincent rack fro Craven panniers (still looking for the panniers)
I have some old bike pictures which seem to show the fitting OK. The assembly has bushes on the arms which bolt onto the rear frame handle to allow for movement with the suspension. My question is the - the two side bars which bolt onto the frame just below the front of the seat - should they be bolted down tight or are they meant to have bushes to allow for movement? Also the front seat bolt does not seem to have quite enough thread for these side bars to allow the nut to be fully on the bolt - are longer bolts available?
Thanks - Frank

They should bolt up against the ends legs at the front of the seat. These in turn abut the the tube that rotates in bushes in the rear of the UFM. No additional bushes necessary. Check that the tube is present and is moving freely, it is not unknown for it to be seized solid if a previous owner does not appreciate how the seat suspension is supposed to work. I dont know if a longer bolt is available, it is easily made.
Les..

Last edited:

Newbs1

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Frank,

I thought Dragonfly Spares had purchased the Craven drawings and moulds etc from Phil (Primmer). I did not think they were commercially available as yet. Do you mind letting me know where you purchased your rack. many thanks - Geoff

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Frank, you bolt up the the rack frame good and tight at the front and rear of the seat. A longer front stud used to be available from the VOCS but I believe it is now permanently out of stock. Easy enough to replicate but make sure that the spacer between the seat ears is long enough for all to rotate.