Fitting Main Shaft Oil Seal to Comet

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
So as Indicated earlier I have reduced the height of the lip on the seal holder that engages the crankcase down to 0.090" thus just clearing the main bearing retainer circlip.

The actual seal does protrude by around 0.005" past the end of the carrier on the circlip side but its rubberised surface deforms sufficiently to allow eveything to be pulled up snug.

To seal the seal carrier against the crankcase I used a thin bead of Hylomar. I also used blue locktite to secure the 3 x 3/16" retaining screws. My next run will be the acid test for oil tightness in this area.

Martyn

riptragle1953

Non-VOC Member
Sorry I was confused as I missed part of your thread... I thought you were talking of a sliding seal for the shaft inside the
primary case.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Quick Update. The promised artice has been written and submitted to MPH for publication. It has already been published in 998, the newsletter of the VIC, Victorian Section.

Martyn

vince998

VOC Member
Hi MartynG,
I have found the same on the few seals that i have fitted (on twins and comets)
I always face the seal holder off so that the circlip is retained, and carefully fit the seal so that the circlip ears do not distort the seal lip.
Replacing the circlip with 3 small countersink screws just doesn´t "feel right" considering that bearing is the only lateral support for the crank.
Quick Update. The promised artice has been written and submitted to MPH for publication. It has already been published in 998, the newsletter of the VIC, Victorian Section.

Martyn

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Article has been written and published in 998, the newsletter of the VOC Victorian Section. It has also been submitted to MPH for publication at some future time.

Martyn