Fitting Indicators

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What make switchgear have you used for fitting indicators?

At the planning stage but would appreciate any help.

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Switchgear

What make switchgear have you used for fitting indicators?

At the planning stage but would appreciate any help.

Hi Tracey,
Both dad and I use early suzuki switchgear for the LHS, which covers indicators, dip switch and horn. From memory something like early GS550 which does not have the extra switch for flashing your main beam.

Cheers
Neil

ET43

Non-VOC Member
indicator switch gear

On my special I used a switch from a Yamaha RD350, and the like. Most of their range had the same switch. It features indicators, dip switch, pass light and horn in a tidy package. Somewhere I have an ammended wiring diagram for this, as the indicators were, I believe, speedo operated, but they can be cancelled using the self centering button.
Good Hunting,
ET43

John Cone

VOC Member
Having had a Honda CX500 from new and being in the possesion of plenty of spares I used the Honda switch gear on my Prince, works a treat.

minivin

VOC Member
I've fitted one of the pattern Lucas style switches, just I was a bit wise to solder the joints and give the innards a good seeing too with silicone grease. Done 500 miles worth already with no problem, time will tell and it doesn't look as gopping as the CB125T units I used to have on the handlebars

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Indicators

Mine are original - fitted approx 48 years ago. I havent had any problems with the central drive computer apart from occasional electrical surges resulting in unexplainable actions. Mechanically they have faired pretty well. It is noticeable in colder and inclement weather a fair sprinkling of a well known scottish lubricant will ease any stiffness in moving parts thereby facilitating efficient operation. Interestingly enough i have experimented with said lubricant in fairer weather as well, purely in pursuit of objectivity, and there is a certain point of lubrication where all mechanical movement is disjointed. All filling instructions should be strictly observed

mick

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The best part about these original indicators is that they cannot be left on by accident. The worse part is that they are not so good in the dark or times of poor visibility. Worse still is that today's 'drivers' do not appear to know what they mean.

One VOCer in the US wears bright orange chemical worker rubber gloves while riding in the rain and opens and closes his hand to simulate blinkers when signaling.

deejay499

VOC Member
There are some very discreet indicators around now, and with white or tinted lens, can be hidden quite well.
Holden do some of the older replica switches, but these can be a bit of a juggle to get close enough to your thumb.
Mine came from the local breakers yard and new old stock from a dealer.
Cheers, Dave

Last edited by a moderator: