Fitting BT-H Magneto

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
If you put your magneto or BTH unit on, The magneto base will be .828" to.830" in from the timing case face which is the datum for most things on a Vincent motor timing chest.I measured two motors and did not allow for gasket thickness. Did you get the 2BA bolts and lock tabs with the kit?

Roger Barton

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Kevin

Is this a running bike or a ground up rebuild?

If a rebuild are the rest of the timing spindles set correctly as the mag gear appears to be set in the crankcase the correct amount when looking at the other pictures posted, just an observation may be of help.

Regards Roger

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi there Kev, looking at your initial photo, it looks to me as though the mag pinion drive kit is not bolted up together with the 2 BA bolts, throw the tab washers away as they are next to useless and screw the bolts up firm using 3/16 flat washers and a dab of red loctite on each thread. If you think about it the holding bolt that holds the assembly to the shaft on the mag has the tapper in it, meaning that the outer driving flange is pulled up tight by the center bolt. Pull the whole assembly up tight first and then refit to the mag shaft screwing the center bolt as you go, and it will line up fine......hope this helps, cheers.....Greg.

dagriise@online.no

Non-VOC Member
I fitted my bth, kit from the spares co last fall, and found i was missing some parts, and it went back and forward before i got it right..Will try to get some pictures to you tomorrow... Im doing a ground up build from new parts, and the mag so far seems to fit ok. (im riding a rew counter drive as well..)

Regards Dag
Norway

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi there Kev, looking at your initial photo, it looks to me as though the mag pinion drive kit is not bolted up together with the 2 BA bolts, throw the tab washers away as they are next to useless and screw the bolts up firm using 3/16 flat washers and a dab of red loctite on each thread. If you think about it the holding bolt that holds the assembly to the shaft on the mag has the tapper in it, meaning that the outer driving flange is pulled up tight by the center bolt. Pull the whole assembly up tight first and then refit to the mag shaft screwing the center bolt as you go, and it will line up fine......hope this helps, cheers.....Greg.
Hi Greg, thanks for the input mate, once the whole assy was bolted together and bolted onto the taper I still have the pinion sitting .110" too deep in the case ???

Last edited:

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
If you put your magneto or BTH unit on, The magneto base will be .828" to.830" in from the timing case face which is the datum for most things on a Vincent motor timing chest.I measured two motors and did not allow for gasket thickness. Did you get the 2BA bolts and lock tabs with the kit?
Thanks for that info Chankly, I made a quick measurement and my meausrement was around .760", this was to the face of the locating lip on the front of the BTH, the lip is .095 giving a total of .855" but the pinion (all assembled) is .110" too far from the face of the timing case?
Yes I have the 2BA bolts and lock washers as well.
Kevin

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
Hi Kevin

Is this a running bike or a ground up rebuild?

If a rebuild are the rest of the timing spindles set correctly as the mag gear appears to be set in the crankcase the correct amount when looking at the other pictures posted, just an observation may be of help.

Regards Roger

Hi Roger, thanks for the input, yes I have just spent quite a bit of time making sure all spindles are the correct height.

redbloke1956

Non-VOC Member
I don't want to fit .110" of spacers between the pinion and the drive unit because I would end up with very little support for the pinion from the centre of the drive unit.
I am not too keen on removing metal from the front of the BT-H or the rear of the timing chest so I figure I might leave the pinion out of mesh as it is a light load on a nylon pinion...what do you guys think?