Fitting Brampton Forks

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So here I am, with a nice, fully built and restored set of B Brampton Forks ready to fit to the steering head, but it looks as though there is no alternative but to strip down the top links/spindles, remove the spring, etc, before I can fit them.

Unless anyone knows any different?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
what model are you fitting them on? if post war do a trail run fitting complete front wheel to check axle hole and brake anchor bracket the last one I had to machine to fit, post war you can fit on to bike with out stripping forks.

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
I recently did this on my B Rapide, having changed the UFM. Just remove the headclip nut FT238 and the padbolt FT217, and the forkspring top nut. You can then lift the top fork yoke and bearing cup off the steering stem. Helps fitting to jack the front of the bike up a bit. Slide the fork stem up from below into the steering head, don't forget to line up the steering damper FT127 with the slot in the steering head !! I did mine single-handed with the wheel, mudguards, handlebars etc. all still fitted, but a second set of hands is always useful !! I have a Woodhead-Munroe hydraulic damper / spring unit but the standard fork spring shouldn't cause any problems as far as I can see.
UFM2.jpg

Albervin

VOC Member
Peter, in my experience the Bramptons have to be assembled on the bike. It is a pain then to thread the links and obtain all the clearances but I have yet to discover a viable short-cut. THEN you fit the spring... no swearing now.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Many thanks to all those who have responded, the tips will doubtless be most helpful. Some responded offline too - you know who you are - thank you.

Well that's clear then, some say it can be done without dismantling top links, some say it can't. So I'll let you know in due course my verdict. In the meantime, I am told that the re-decoration of the master bedroom is to take priority.... Hmmm..

Peter B
Bristol, UK.