Fitting a replacement rear mudguard.

Mark Fraser

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Having scanned OBM last month I saw a company called Autocycle advertising vincent mudguards. I bought a set of S/S ones from him. The curvature doesn't appear to be correct but I think the difficulty will be fitting the flap correctly so when the rear stand is up there won't be a horrible gap between the back edge of the rear mudguard and the front of the flap. Has anyone fitted these guards recently? I also bought an alloy one from Rennovation spares which looks like it's been rolled slightly better.I did contact Autocycle about this but he didn't offer any advice and said that nobody has ever come back to him with this problem before.
He would say that anyway!

clevtrev

VOC Member
Having scanned OBM last month I saw a company called Autocycle advertising vincent mudguards. I bought a set of S/S ones from him. The curvature doesn't appear to be correct but I think the difficulty will be fitting the flap correctly so when the rear stand is up there won't be a horrible gap between the back edge of the rear mudguard and the front of the flap. Has anyone fitted these guards recently? I also bought an alloy one from Rennovation spares which looks like it's been rolled slightly better.I did contact Autocycle about this but he didn't offer any advice and said that nobody has ever come back to him with this problem before.
He would say that anyway!
Fitting a replacement rear mudguard takes the following procedure.
1. Fit hinge brackets on guards.
2. Fit chainguard to bike.
3 Fit lifting handle to rear frame.
4 Place the guard into position on the lifting handle, and fit hinge bolt.
5 You are now in a position to move the assembled guard to get the best
position to drill the fitment holes. Usually requires a spacer of about 3/4"
under the bolt at the front of the guard to achieve the best position.
Finally locate and fit stays.
You must realise that the position of the guard is governed by the
chainguard and it`s attachment to the lifting handle. Any other way, you
will be fighting this.

Vinthou

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I bought a new stainless rear mudguard from the club about 15 years ago, and had the same problem. The curvature was too tight. It seemed like it was built to fit a 17" or 18" wheel, not the 19" that is standard on the bike. I messed around with spacers for hours, but there was just no way that it was ever going to fit and look "right". In the end I gave up and returned it along with a full size drawing of what I felt the correct curvature should be.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Rear mudguards

That's an odd complaint. I always thought Vincent stainless guards looked to have too large a curvature. Not so much the back (for which Trevor's advice - as always - is worth taking) because the guard doesn't hug the wheel anyway, but certainly on the front. Back in my yoof, when everyone fitted ally guards as a matter of course, it was an accepted fact that the only way to get a decent "look" on a 19" wheel was to buy an 18" guard.
A paradox is that back in the bad old days (last year) when I still went "to work" every day, if it was pissing rain I'd take one of the old bikes (1938, 1951, or 1956) because the bike and I would stay much cleaner and drier. The modern bike, a 55,000 mile 1993 Ducati Monster, having the mudguard equivalent of a thong, was much dirtier and wetter.
I make no further comment.

Last edited by a moderator: