E: Engine Fitting a Norton Gearbox

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Chris,
Unlike Unit BSA's you cannot simply reverse the camplate. But Norvil will sell you a reverse plate. In the end it is no more expensive than a gearbox toggle, special foot control etc.
You just need to have the right size of boots and the right kind of Kickstarter.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Thanks, I wasn't sure whether you could or not, I've looked at the camplates hundreds of times but never actually tried to do it to see whether it would work or not.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Worth doing, Norton clutch came with the gearbox -bought a Commando belt clutch basket, front pulley, which was mated to part of the ESA sliding onto the crank spline, E10 belt, nut and split pin for safety... the final drive chain and sprocket set up aligns well, Commando 18T gearbox sprocket, 48T Vincent rear -only issue is the chain, a 530 needed for the front sprocket if using a Commando one, it gives some lateral movement on the narrower rear 48T Vincent sprocket, which I've assumed is for a 520, seems to work fine. Started with 108 links 18T/48T as per flash spec (Could possibly get a 19T front or even 20T?). Reduced chain length to 106 links to maintain nimble wheelbase.

" Norton clutch came with the gearbox"

Is this the Dominator multi spring clutch or the Commando Diaphragm clutch?

Glen

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
" Norton clutch came with the gearbox"

Is this the Dominator multi spring clutch or the Commando Diaphragm clutch?

Glen
Sorry for delay Glen, Commando diaphram clutch -married to a beltdrive basket...have not yet started the thing, getting close, few issues need to fettle first (exhaust tappet knock), but cranks over on the kick start smoothly.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
You need to set up the diaphram spring otherwise they can be really heavy, try to get it with the spring flat or dished in about 1mm, different thickness pressure plates are available to get this right.

Jez Nemeth

Non-VOC Member
good advice Chris-oil seal set in the the pushrod nut, plenty of room for the clutch in the primary -one thing noticed, is that the Norton cable is much longer than the Vincent Burman one...don't suppose this would be an issue?

Bradley Burt

Non-VOC Member
HI,
does any body have any photos , sketches, drawings of fittings, for fitting a Norton gear box to a comet. I have the instructions for fitting the gear box as published in M.P.H. and I was wondering if there any snags to over come .
many thanks,
stumpy lord
Which MPH were the instructions in?
Thank you.