Fitting a D-type stand to a C

piggywig

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Stand Mod.

Stuart,
Stick with that stand mod. If you are having trouble at 44, I can assure you it gets no easier at 70!!
Col.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Ha! Ha! To confuse everything. Have you tried a D stand with touring mudguards? The stand cross piece fouls the touring guard in the raised position and so will not fully lift.

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
D stand on a C

It's a bit difficult to follow this thread since i can see some of them are out of time order.
Summary: Kemps sell a kit, Russell didn't attempt to sell me one since i told him I was going to keep my Dave Hills stand. He was however prepared to sell me some of the bits if I needed them.
Some pictures from Stuart show where the links go, and another member sent me a sketch. These were very useful because they made clear that it was highly possible.
I reckon it'll be fairly easy to do: mount the D handle where it is supposed to be, on the footrest bolt, then make links to reach an extension arm on the stand. It won't take a huge amount of leverage since the DH stand takes almost no effort to activate. I could copy the ratios used on the Rudge stand if I had to. Now if it wasn't bloody freezing outside (2 deg C) I'd be out there with the hacksaw flying. But it is, and I'm not.
But thanks to everyone who responded, and I'll keep you posted.