Fitting a D-type stand to a C

Tom Gaynor

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a pre-war Rudge with a hand operated stand. It's great. It has occurred to me that instead of struggling to get off a luggage laden Vin unaided - which is easy - but without falling over or putting my hip out, which is not easy, a Rudge type centre stand offers an answer.
I'm pretty sure I've seen a C with a D stand. If I have, I recall nothing of it. I have a Bob Hills stand, can probably obtain a D hand-lever, and making a Rudge type linkage would be straightforward. There's an entry in FYO on the subject, but it seems to describe fitting a kit, which if it ever really existed, doesn't appear to exist now.
Questions:
Has anyone done this?
What was involved?
What, if anything, had to be sacrificed or moved to accomodate it?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
D stand on C

Tom,
I have D stands fitted to both my solo C Rapide and Comet. Both were fitted by Furness and Searle about 20 years ago. The Comet one was made up by F&S and is quite complicated and takes a bit of a heave. The Rapide one is fantastic, well balanced and only takes a gentle pull. I think it came as a kit from the chap who did Egli kits and was also into MVs. At this minute his name escapes me. The timing side pillion plate is special with an extension to mount the stand pivot but it is barely noticeable. On the drive side the standard pillion plate is retained but a small plate is mounted inboard of it to take the other stand pivot. The RFM pivot spindle needs to be longer as does the footrest hanger bolt to take the D type footrest hanger spacer. It needs a long D type rear brake cable as the standard one fouls the lever. There a various spacers and other small bits.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
d stands

hi , I only ever tried a solo trip a cross the water once by myself on a standard machine , and I swore then that i would never do it again. so when dave hills started producing them i could not get one quick ennough, in my oppinion they are far superrior to the new stand on stands.
dave hills is the man to talk to.
cheers norm.:D

John Appleton

VOC Member
D type stands

Tom , Im sure this is stealing Mr. Kemps thunder, but he supplies a kit with all you need to modify a series C. I fitted one for a local comet owner and can confirm that it is very successful
John

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
D stand on a C

That's odd. Nearly 24 hours have passed, and Russ hasn't tried to sell me one yet.
I should have made clear that I already have a Dave Hills stand, which I think is marvellous. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not i can use a D-type handle and linkage with it WITHOUT dismantling the whole bike.
Thanks, Hugo.
Expect more on this topic once all the opinions have been collated......
Tom , Im sure this is stealing Mr. Kemps thunder, but he supplies a kit with all you need to modify a series C. I fitted one for a local comet owner and can confirm that it is very successful
John

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Expect more on this topic once all the opinions have been collated......[/QUOTE]

That will be when you put the Hills stand on ebay and order the rest of the kit to go with the handle that I posted to you yesterday then :D

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Tom, I've got a VinParts stand on....

Hi Tom,
My Series C has a VinParts D stand on it - although Russ laughed a bit when I sent him pictures as it has been fitted in an odd fashion!!

You'll need a different pivot bearing spindle (FT33?) but if you have no lathe then Russ was good enough to spin me one up in the lathe.

When I heard the bike had been fitted with it I made a mental note to restore it to original, or just have a centre stand - but to be honest it is so easy to use and so useful that I now wouldn't be without it - and at 44 I'm getting on a bit now................(find it difficult to bend my knees to get on the Duke!!!!)

Despite being fitted incorrectly the only fault I've had is the nut on the right hand side fixing kept coming loose and before I got around to it it dropped off on a trip (actually like quite a few other bits) and so I keep Russ busy with ordering new shiny bits to replace the ones that fall off. Luckily the head of the bolt is trapped as it fouls against the exhaust as it trys to work its way free and head for the tarmac.

Do remember to 'lock' the handle into the travelling position before riding off.

(Hint Russ - I haven't ordered the replacement nut yet!!)

It happily clears the electric start too just fyi.

Stuart

Last edited:

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Sorry - trying to be helpful.

As the D stand is from a Series D which didn't have an electric start I thought it was a relevant comment to add that, having fitted an aftermarket electric start to a Series C, then a Series D pattern centre stand clears the electric start.

Sorry - I've just re-started with Vincents, was only trying to be helpful and it didn't seem obvious to me.

Promise to try harder next time.....

Stuart

PS It only "just" clears it

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
No need to try harder stu as the info that you gave was spot on and a lot of help to someone that sells the stand kits. I now know that they fit twins with an oap kit fitted (joke:D).

Russ